Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 02:23 AM

Late Night Caller

I've just had someone knocking on my door and it's scared me half to death.

I looked out of the window to see a man on my path, and a car parked up at the pavement. Because it's so dark I couldn't tell who it was, but the man knocked again.

I mouthed out of the window "who are you" and it looked as if he lifted something like flat boxes. I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders.

Anyway, he's gone now. From what little I could see it looked like pizza boxes, but who delivers pizza at 1.10 a.m?

I'm calming down a bit now thank goodness, but that terrified me.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 02:28 AM

Re: Late Night Caller

that's scary Mollie! I think I may have looked from upstairs rather than on the same level,that way you could have seen him which would have given you a better view, perhaps seen his delivery van logo then you could have just ignored him knowing he'd got the wrong address putting your mind at ease
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 02:35 AM

Thanks Honey. Yes, it was scary. There was no logo on the vehicle at the front, but that's not unusual here as they use private cars to deliver food, if that was what it was.

If it had been the Police (for some reason) I'd have asked them to show ID at the window before I'd open up even for them!

As far as I know though, on a Saturday night, most of the takeaways and food delivery outlets close at 1 a.m.

Thanks for replying to me. I don't feel quite so alone now. It probably was the driver just getting the wrong address.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 02:42 AM

Mollie, do you have any close neighbours you can call on in an emergency? if not, perhaps if you mentioned what happened to someone nearby they may offer help should another incident occur, I'd love to help you but I'm not in spitting distance!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 02:43 AM

Yes Mollie, that's what it probably was, the wrong address. Maybe that was his last delivery of the night?

When we get takeaways delivered, they're all in private cars too.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

04-03-2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
Mollie, do you have any close neighbours you can call on in an emergency? if not, perhaps if you mentioned what happened to someone nearby they may offer help should another incident occur, I'd love to help you but I'm not in spitting distance!
No Honey I don't, most especially late at night.

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
Yes Mollie, that's what it probably was, the wrong address. Maybe that was his last delivery of the night?

When we get takeaways delivered, they're all in private cars too.
Thanks Carmen, you're probably right but at that moment in time I panicked, not expecting anyone to hammer on my door so late.

Luckily, I'm not the sort of person to open my door to anyone after dark unless I'm expecting someone, and they know to show themselves at my window before I open the door.

Thanks. I'm much calmer now.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

04-03-2012, 03:31 AM

it's always worrying when someone knocks on your door late at night, let me say I don't answer the door at anytime unless I check through the window first to see who it is
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

04-03-2012, 03:48 AM

Neither do I Honey. You just don't know who will be on the other side of the door.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 07:58 AM

This sort of thing used to terrify my mum when she was at home and I happened to be out. Golden rule is not to answer the door - people should have more sense that going round knocking on people's doors at that time in the morning. If they persist, go to upstairs window and ask who they are and make a note of any car registrations. Failing that, just call the police - if the person has a marked vehicle, complain to whoever sent them. Final answer is to simply do nothing and wait until they leave. You should never, ever simply answer the door unless you are 500% sure you know who it is.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 11:19 AM

How horrid for you. I live alone and my front door is always locked with the chain on 24/7. I tend to come and go by the back door as it's nearer to the bit of the drive I use for the car and easier to haul messages into the kitchen. I'd also go to the window when it's dark if someone came to the door and open it at the bottom till the lock came on and shout for them to come in front of the window so I could see........Mostly it's ok and they'd have no problem if they're there for a good reason.......If not then I'd be right on the phone to the Police........Hope your heart has stopped hammering. Of course it also helps that the dogs bark, especially Dufas who's huge booming bark sounds very much like.....don't mess with me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top