Join for free
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 12:29 AM

Getting Older bit wiser

Just received this email and thought I would share it.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play, on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.
They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.
I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 12:55 AM

Re: Getting Older bit wiser

I enjoyed reading that Cate - thanks for sharing

I agree with everything written there apart from, eating desserts every day, because I'm dieting
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 01:00 AM

I agree with every word,when we're young we worry about too many things, we feel awkward,unable to speak our mind for fear of being chastised by our elders,my grandma always said, "children should be seen and not heard" I was a little mouthy then and told her otherwise!
We take things to heart and fret too easily, worry about what people think of us, these days I don't give a jot! We have but one life to live and we should celebrate it, not fear it or the future.

These days I can go out without wearing makeup and not care, I'm not trying to impress anyone nor do I have those awful crushes of my youth when I tried too hard to be a person that wasn't the true me, strived to please everyone for fear of rejection or negative comments, as you get older you get bolder!
I've become much wiser and I believe more tolerant of others because I've gained more patience and understanding, for me now, age doesn't matter, I enjoy conversing with people on all levels, we can learn so much if we widen our net and be more open minded and willing to still learn from others, age doesn't always bring maturity, you have to open your mind and be more receptive rather than think you know it all.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 09:45 AM

And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).

I'm way, way, WAY ahead of this - having been eating desserts for YEARS!!!!
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 11:14 AM

That's a lovely Post Cookiecat. It's made me think twice about things too.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 01:28 PM

This is the poem I live by it is by Jenny Joseph and sums up how I am right now not too old and young enough to enjoy being me and getting away with behaviours I never could as a young mum and wife.

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

and eat three pounds of sausages at a go

or only bread and pickles for a week

and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

and pay our rent and not swear in the street

and set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 08:48 PM

That was my Mothers favourite poem,very funny.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-03-2012, 10:02 PM

Mine too, only I never wear hats, or shoes if I can help it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 02:54 PM

I've alwaysw loved that poem, too. It's stuck on my fridge door in case I ever need reminding!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

05-03-2012, 07:21 PM

I'm glad I dug it out it is obviously a favourite of us ladies. Wonder if I can find a bloke poem

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top