Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 02:14 PM

Workmen not turning up

When you arrange for someone to come and do some work for you, they say oh, I'll be in touch, and it never happens, or they say I'll be round sometime next week, but what week would that be? The favourite seems to be I'll be able to do that in a couple of weeks, what couple of weeks would that be? But today I heard I've done me leg in, I'll see you when it's on the mend. I believe in each every man doing his own thing but some of your plumbers, electricians and other craftspeople don't seem to have a very good work ethic when it comes keeping promises.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 03:34 PM

Re: Workmen not turning up

Cate, the first thing I ask a person when they come to me with a job is, when do you want it finished, some ask me how soon can I have it ready, others say take your time, whenever you get a chance, and as I don't like having other peoples stuff hanging around for long, I get on it right away. If it's for close Family or relatives, then I'm afraid I'm guilty of putting it on the long finger.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Oooh no so he didn't turn up then!! I know you've been waiting for ages. Cate I think you are going stop being too nice to him and stamp your feet
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 08:59 PM

What annoys me is that a full complemnt of workmen arrive, start the job, get to the point of no return then the work slows down because you end up having only half the workforce you started with. Usually it's the "main man" that goes off somewhere else leaving his less experienced men on your job. You know they have got another job just started somewhere else, which means that your job is going to take a lot longer than they first told you. I think this happens quite a lot and all you can do is be patient and keep making the tea. In the end I find I can't wait to see the back of them.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Oh dear.......I'm having a whole new kitchen soon
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Oooh no so he didn't turn up then!! I know you've been waiting for ages. Cate I think you are going stop being too nice to him and stamp your feet
I finally had an electrician x 2 and a painter who 'sorry will have to come back in the morning or maybe Monday to finish. The electricians were here for 20 minutes and charged us £60. But I am told they did a good job
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 10:46 AM

I am really lucky here as my guy is the cousin of a good friend and I just give him a key. He is not the fastest but is a perfectionist so I end up with a really lovely job. Last year he did my kitchen and he is currently doing my bathroom. Its going to look stunning

A good workman that you can really trust is worth his weight in gold. The only problem is that he is in great demand and usually has a few jobs on the go at the same time but I will get there in the end.

The only way in my opinion is to get someone by personal recommendation. You only have to watch that programme Cowboy Builders to see the messes some people get themselves into at huge cost as well.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

08-03-2012, 01:32 PM

There is a young man that we have been watching when we go for our walk. He has been working throughout all weathers and has paved someones front garden. It really is very beautiful and he' done it with individual bricks.

We rang him yesterday and there was no messing about he is coming today to give us a quote and if we agree on the quote then he will do it over the week-end.

We try and use local people but it doesn't always work out
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 05:28 PM

As a home owner I've had shoddy dealings with trades too. Now, as a small business owner, I make sure to keep customers informed of any changes in schedule. We give specific times whether we're just doing an estimate or actually starting the job. Once in a while we have to reschedule work due to circumstances (weather, suppliers) and my partner almost always offers 5% or 10% off the price because we're inconveniencing the customer.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

08-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
As a home owner I've had shoddy dealings with trades too. Now, as a small business owner, I make sure to keep customers informed of any changes in schedule. We give specific times whether we're just doing an estimate or actually starting the job. Once in a while we have to reschedule work due to circumstances (weather, suppliers) and my partner almost always offers 5% or 10% off the price because we're inconveniencing the customer.
So Annie are you busy next week?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top