Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

28-02-2012, 04:40 PM

The influence science fiction cinema had on Cold War public opinion?

Hello all,
I am interested to find out your thoughts on the possible impact which 1960s science fiction cinema had in influencing public opinion against nuclear weaponry. This genre often depicts apocalyptic worlds and brainwashing invaders, and I am keen to hear about your views on this topic(possibly drawing upon your own experiences). Do you think this genre created a fear towards the bomb and America's feuding enemy? How influential was the science fiction genre to you?

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,
sargUK
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Re: The influence science fiction cinema had on Cold War public opinion?

As of this morning I'm re-reading Brunner's The Sheep Look Up which I find it more prophetic and alarming than the thought of nuclear war.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Don't tell me yet another student looking for help with a project
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

28-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Meg, you hit the nail on the head.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Hello SargUK, when I was a kid in the 50's I loved all that stuff and remember this was at the height of the cold war so every science fiction film carried a message of some sort, for example, the Russians could not be trusted with a nuclear bomb, but we could (America). Things like "Mad Russian scientist gets his hands on atom bomb, Superman where are you?", even some of the Aliens had Russian accents come to think of it. Now the Russians and Americans are circling around the Earth in the same space station, all as happy as Larry.
I think those old films made us question the stuff Governments wanted us to believe, it was all too neatly packaged and one sided, we saw through it and went on to fight for the abolition of nuclear weapons, ban the bomb marches etc., yes they did play an important part because J.E. Hoover controlled all that came out of hollywood, still the whole thing backfired, in my opinion.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Meg usually does.

I think the media de-sensitizes us after a while. We accept SF as entertainment, not foreshadowing.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 06:49 PM

I don't even understand the question - one for the boys I think?
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

28-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Thank you for the excellent reply jemflux!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by sargUK ->
Meg, you hit the nail on the head.
In that case Adam go and do your own thinking

ETA Please note . Posting more than one post with the same content is classed as spamming
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

28-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
In that case Adam go and do your own thinking

ETA Please note . Posting more than one post with the same content is classed as spamming
Sorry about the duplicated posts... I have now singled the post to one particular category. I was a little indecisive as to where I should post it at first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top