Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 01:33 AM

Doorstep Crime 999

I've put this in here rather than the TV section because ultimately it could affect all of us at some stage.

Has anybody been watching this on BBC with Gloria Hunniford as the hostess of the programme?

It's very shocking and disturbing how door to door criminals can con thousands of pounds out of the elderly, and not so elderly.

Has anyone been subjected to anything like this?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 04:02 AM

Re: Doorstep Crime 999

What's the BBC program about? I haven't seen the show here, across the pond, but the local police do seminars at seniors' centres to warn about fraud and scams.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 08:12 AM

Only greedy naive people who think they can get things free will be conned, people who know that there is no such thing as a good cheap deal will send them packing.

The only time I lost out was when I was young and got an 'Estimate' not a 'quote' for a job only to find out the hidden excuses that people make to increase your bill.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 09:51 AM

I watch it and it is dreadful how those crooks work!

Terrible the times we live in!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...999_Episode_4/ Hope the link works for you Annie Jack!

Many thanks Mollie for sharing!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Only greedy naive people who think they can get things free will be conned, people who know that there is no such thing as a good cheap deal will send them packing.
That is simply untrue and totally unfair on an awful lot of people. It is an established fact that whilst doorstep crime can be in a number of forms it is carried out by criminals who deliberately target the most vulnerable members of our communities.

The distraction type of burglaries that involve scum posing as genuine trades people, often acting as bona fide officials from a utility company, such as water, electricity or gas just to get into a person's home.
Once inside, one of the callers distracts the homeowner, while another searches for money and valuable items to steal.
Naive the victims maybe but their naivety is borne of trust, certainly not greed.

Another variation of distraction burglary involves criminals posing as reputable trades people who offer to undertake repair work on a person's property. They do the work badly, if ever at all and put people under extreme pressure to pay and often accompany them to the bank of post office to get the money.

Of course anyone can be the victim of these sorts of crime but older, vulnerable people are at most risk simply because they are an easy target.
When you consider the average age of a victim is 80 years old with over half being female and nearly three quarters being duped living alone it ain't rocket science to see why they are picked on.

While most people are able to recover from the ordeal a few but significant number neverthless do not and the after effects are very serious and long term.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 02:54 PM

The only time I lost out was when I was young and got an 'Estimate' not a 'quote' for a job only to find out the hidden excuses that people make to increase your bill.

I watched it one day last week, and one old fellow was quoted £1,000 to replace a bit of damaged gutter, he agreed to let them do it!!!
I would have laughed in their faces and told them where to go
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 02:54 PM

For a start genuine agents of the utility comany's do not go around in pairs.

You never let anyone over the doorstep who you do not know or has the authoriy and certification from company,s.
You should never trust people you dont know, and you never let unknown people who gain access to you home seperate and go into different rooms.

These messages have been going out for centuries so people ignoring them are naive or greedy or Stupid or all three.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 02:59 PM

There are some gullible people about. how many times do you have to warn them before they take notice?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 03:16 PM

It happened to my Dad years ago. After Mum died, he went downhill rapidly and it affected him mentally. I used to go to his house everyday to care for him and cook his meals.

One particular day I arrived at his house to see a man up a ladder painting the front of his house. I asked him who gave him permission to paint the house and he said the owner did. My Dad was always one to trust people and not understanding things too well, I asked him if he knew what the cost of the painting would be ...... he said £3! I went straight out to the fellow and asked him how much he was charging, he said Dad has agreed a price of £350! I was livid, my Dad had not much more than £350 to his name I said surely you can see he is not capable of making decisions himself and I accused him of taking advantage of an old man who hasn't the money to pay. He said I would have to pay in cash then I told him no way would I pay and if he didn't take his ladder and clear off, I would call the police. He reluctantly left, with his ladder and tin of paint.

My Dad definitely wasn't a greedy man, nor was he naive ...... he was a poor, sick man
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-02-2012, 04:31 PM

For a start genuine agents of the utility comany's do not go around in pairs.

You never let anyone over the doorstep who you do not know or has the authoriy and certification from company,s.
You should never trust people you dont know, and you never let unknown people who gain access to you home seperate and go into different rooms.

These messages have been going out for centuries so people ignoring them are naive or greedy or Stupid or all three.
Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
There are some gullible people about. how many times do you have to warn them before they take notice?
I will take some comfort knowing that there are at least two guys in the country who are really smart and will never need looking out for, long may you stay that way.
As for the rest of us, I for one will continue to lookout for others less streetwise or vunerable.
If that makes me as stupid as they have been portrayed here then thank God.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top