Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Wedding Rings.

When I got married back in 1965 it was not usual for the Man to wear a wedding ring, but times have changed and they all seem to wear them now, which is very good for the jewellery business. A neighbour of mine recently asked me to size his late wife's wedding ring as he wanted to wear it himself, a lot of men do that over here when their beloved wives pass on, and a lot of women (and some men) have their Mother's wedding ring adjusted to fit themselves. There seems to be great significance and sentiment in a wedding ring, more so than an engagement ring, in my experience. I remember working in a well known jewellery shop in the city centre, two sisters came in with their Mothers ring and asked me if it was possible to cut the ring down the centre and make two narrower ones (it was a very wide band), no problem says I, and went ahead. A week later they came back and went out happy as they had, "A piece of Mum each". I wonder if anyone here has their Mums wedding ring on their finger?.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Re: Wedding Rings.

When the wife and I went to get our wedding rings,which I thought would be a good idea, I fainted when mine was tried on! The reason I think is, that I can't stand anything like that on my hand. Not one for jewellery of any kind, or tattoos. Mind you what seemed like a bad omen at the time, proved false, as we're coming up for our 36th. anniversary.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 07:30 PM

I have my late fathers ring on my middle finger. I was made to wait till i'd stopped growing and then it was taken down 9 sizes to fit me.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 07:38 PM

Ive got my mum's engagement ring on - the same finger as my wedding ring. Been married twice & never got an engagement ring
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 07:46 PM

I have worn my Mum's wedding ring on my right hand for the last 18 years. When she died, my daughter kept the ring for me until I was able to bring myself to look at it, let alone touch it It was about two months before I was able to have it resized and now I never take it off.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 07:52 PM

I wonder if anyone here has their Mums wedding ring on their finger?.
Jem my Mother died when I was a baby and was buried wearing her wedding ring. She was married 'for all time' bless her and wasn't deprived of her love token by her untimely death.

When I got married we couldn't afford a decent ring which to me was only a 'token' of our love anyway. We bought a second hand ring hoping to replace it later, sadly this was not to be when history repeated itself and death intervened again

When my son got married he and his lovely wife had matching wedding rings made for them which I thought was a lovely touch

On the birth of their twins my son had an eternity ring made for my DIL which links in to and compliments her wedding ring
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 08:02 PM

I have my Grannie's wedding ring. I was married twice and this week asked my son if he would have my first wedding ring and my Mothers watch.I have a crucifix which was given to me after my Uncle Paddy died, it was his Mothers, my children dont want it and i feel that it should be in Ireland.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 08:03 PM

I have my Mother's rings (she passed in 2000) and I have mine (divorced). Have know idea what to do with them.
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 08:13 PM

My fingers are all crook so sadly I can't wear any rings. No I am not going to get a nose or belly button piercing.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Unlike me, my mum never took her wedding ring off and when she died we thought the ring should stay with her.

My husband and I had a big row over wedding rings. I wanted him to have one as well, but he was dead against the idea and said "do you want to put a ring put in my nose as well." I said no more, but after we were married I quietly took my wedding ring off. It took a while for him to notice, but when he did I said I would wear it if he would wear one. I only wore my wedding ring for the first month of our marriage - 45 years later and I am still waiting for him to get one before I put mine back on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top