Join for free
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Nuisance 'phone calls

For the past couple of weeks we have been pestered with nuisance 'phone calls.
Most are those silent ones, from automated calling systems.
One guy said there was a problem with my computer and to go and turn it on - I laughed out loud - he put the 'phone down....I expect he was going to offer to fix a virus and then install software to steal personal information.

After the first couple we now let it ring and go to answerphone, if it's family they'll text or use the mobile.
I remembered saving the list below on the computer (taken me an age to look for them ) but haven't used them yet.

1. On answering the phone tell the caller that you're not the best person to talk to and ask them to hold while you go and find someone. Put the phone down and continue with whatever you were doing. After a few minutes they will no doubt give up, as it's costing them phone time.

2. If it's to do with house improvements, such as double-glazing, sound very interested and let them waste loads of time telling you all about the features. Sound as if you want the 'deluxe' version of anything they're offering - then, right at the end when they discuss payment, casually say that "Oh, you'll need to talk to the council about that, because this is rented accomondation."

3. Tell them you're doing a survey on 'cold calling' and would they mind if you conduct an interview with them. Say it will only involve approximately 30 minutes of their time and they don't have to answer any of the personal questions if they don't want to. If they persist and agree to your interview, start off by asking them if they ever suffer personal abuse and/or people slamming the phone down on them. Ask what was the worst thing anyone ever said before slamming the phone down. If they get so far as to give you an answer, repeat it back to them and slam the phone down!

4. Wait for them to say what they are calling about, then reply in a monotone voice, "I am a model T-100 voice activated digital assistant robot. How may I assist you?"
Then, whatever they reply with next, say "I am sorry. That statement does not evaluate. Please re-state your aim and intention."
Repeat until they get fed up and hang up.

5. Sound interested to their initial introduction, then half way through their second sentence exclaim, "Aggghhhh. Nooooo. The bright lights, the little beings are returning. Noooooo. They're coming back for me. Aggggghhhhhh"
Then hang up.

6. Wait for them to say what they are calling about, then say in a concerned voice, "Hello!". Then, whatever they say, start butting in saying, "Hello. Is this phone working?", "Hello. I can't hear you!", "I don't think this phone is working" or any other 'broken phone' type messages, before saying something like "Weird huh!" and hanging up.

7. Be as awkward and obtuse as possible. Sound interested in their suggestions, but return every question with another question, which is as 'impossible' as you can imagine. Thus, if they ask if you want double-glazing reply with, "Ah yes. I've been meaning to install that. The only slight problem is that I have circular windows approx 8' in diameter. Can you quote for that?"
If they ask if you want their energy (gas/electricity etc), reply with something like "I have a thermal gas injection ioniser here - Model 134hY-5fn4-b and would like to know if you can interface with its primary energy converter.
To use this line of response, requires some flexibility in you being able to think up obscure questions to ask back in response to every question they put forward. Eventually, they'll give up, as time is lost sales to them.

8. Apologise for sounding a bit upset but explain that your dog/mother/auntie/friend/pet goldfish etc has just been killed in a car accident/grain silo/hit and run/terrorist attack etc and you've only just returned from the morgue after having to identify the body/remains, and that now is a really bad time to call you. If they persist (unlikely) pretend to burst into tears before shouting, "You complete ba**ard!" down the phone and hanging up.

9. Explain, in a very matter of fact voice, that you have complained to the authorities about suffering from harrassment from cold callers and you are now preparing a log of all unsolicited calls to your telephone number. Ask them for the registered name of the company they are calling from, their name, telephone number and whether or not this is the first time they've called this number.
If that doesn't scare them off, ask them what the best time to arrange for a legal representative to call at their premises and interview their section leader is.

10. Get BT to enable 'Anonymous call barring' and 'Caller ID' on your line, invest in a caller ID unit and don't answer the phone to anyone you don't know. [my personal solution]
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Re: Nuisance 'phone calls

Some nice ones there Jan, I think I'll print off your post and hang it up by the phone to use the next time...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Wonder if I could do #5 without breaking into laughter....
Bridgefield
South uk
Bridgefield is female  Bridgefield has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2012, 11:26 PM

Someone calling into local radio recently said he enjoyed stringing along cold callers. His maximum time was about 30 minutes. Someone rung him about a so called computer problem (obviously a scam) and they were telling him what to type in. After a while he asked them which was the 'on' button and after they'd spent considerable time getting him to input details he asked them what came after 'www' then they hung up.

I got my friend a birthday card which says on the front "she's just had another nuisance call - it was the boss telling her to do some work".
It made me chuckle.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top