Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 03:04 PM

Valerian

Hi guys, sorry it's moan a lot here again. Still chesty but getting better thanks to all your good advice.

As I haven't been sleeping very well, I thought, on the advice of a herbalist I would try Valerian. I have been taking it for a week in liquid form and it did seem to help a little but I was still waking up through the night. Ok I will put up with that, but the other night I woke up at 3am with palpitations and all down my right hand side was throbbing. So I started to get a little panicky, Valerian is supposed to help panic not cause it.

My question is, has anybody had any bad experiences with Valerian? I have stopped taking it as I feel unsure of the side effects, will they go over time or carry on? Most of us at some time have had palpitations although supposedly harmless they are worrying.

As my doctor is really against herbal or other methods I daren't ask him.

Thanks for listening.
Kath
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Re: Valerian

valerian doesnt suit everyone I took it years ago and had similar symptoms to yours. change your doc you should not have a GP that your darnt speak about things to. I text mine and ask him stuff and he is really cheerful about trying stuff out if you want to. Dont forget he works for you not the other way around.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Kath darlin' - there's an awful lot of this 'bug' doing the rounds - I too had a bout of it last week and it even upset my appetite - a major tragedy!!!

Have been treating my infection with hot honey and lemon drinks (no not that Lemsip rubbish - 'proper' honey and lemon) and treating the 'cough' with Pholcodine - a cough medicine from Boots chemist. They work, maybe not that quickly, but they work if you persevere.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Hi Kath, I am on my second course of antibiotics in a month, with my chest infection.
But I don't know a thing about the V. but I suggest you email this member Reikiman, who knows quite a bit about herbs.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Thank you all for your advice, I do listen and take notice.

Off the Valerian, no change in sleep but no palpitations.

Geoff my cough is getting better I must admit that Benylin Mucous cough medicine has helped loads, but I do agree with your remedies. One of my older sisters believes in honey &, lemon for colds and apple cyder vinegar for most other ailments, she has no faith in doctors, she uses herbal remedies is fit and healthy a very young 75yr old, so she must be doing something right.

Wrinkly will try Reikman see what he thinks of Valerian.

regards Kath x
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 07:31 PM

This chest infection is going round here like a plague. Everybody I have spoken to, has had 2 lots of antibiotics and one has even gone on to have steroids, and still it isn't right yet.
Some are blaming the flu injection, but I had mine 6 months ago, and my wife had hers at the same time and she hasn't had the chest infection.
Anyway I seem to be getting on top of it steaming regularly using Olbas oil. My guess is that this would have been a really good bout of flu.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

25-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
This chest infection is going round here like a plague. Everybody I have spoken to, has had 2 lots of antibiotics and one has even gone on to have steroids, and still it isn't right yet.
Some are blaming the flu injection, but I had mine 6 months ago, and my wife had hers at the same time and she hasn't had the chest infection.
Anyway I seem to be getting on top of it steaming regularly using Olbas oil. My guess is that this would have been a really good bout of flu.
Hope your better soon, it's no fun waking up coughing and spluttering. My cough has eased off but I wake up so congested I can hardly breathe or swallow, my mouth is so dry cos' I have been sleeping with it open. So it's the good old steam treatment.

I don't have the flu jab my doctor doesn't offer it, although I have had it in the past and that same night I was working evenings then, I started coughing, eyes watering felt awful then went off sick with a dose of flu!

Happy days!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Kath darlin' - another little tip - last thing at night and again first thing in the morning - a dab of Vick's vapour rub around your nostrils - that too will help.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

25-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Kath darlin' - another little tip - last thing at night and again first thing in the morning - a dab of Vick's vapour rub around your nostrils - that too will help.
Uncle Joe, I wondered whether you might suggest a chest rub of goose greasethat's what we had to have as kids during the war.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

25-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Uncle Joe, I wondered whether you might suggest a chest rub of goose greasethat's what we had to have as kids during the war.
My mum was a great believer in goose grease and she used to cover me in the stuff when I was a child.

Uncle Joe I'm sure would insist on personally administring chest rubs!! But sorry I need a Vick to rub on my chest!

ok groaaaaaaaaan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top