Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 01:10 AM

Boxes of Chocolates

Despite previous protestations of not being a great lover of chocolate, for some reason whilst I was in Aldi last night, a great wash came over me to try some chocolate again after many many years of not having any.

I don't know if it was my body telling me that I had to have some sort of ingredient that chocolate gives, but I just had a sudden urge.

Anyway, I bought a box called Surprises for £2.79 having no knowledge of what they would be like, and last night I had three from the box which were very nice, but very sweeeeet! The box is the same shape as a Roses inverted triangle type of shape. I've had none tonight, and the box will probably still be there in several months' time.

Sorry for prevaricating, but the reason I put up this topic was my remembrance of boxes of chocolates from the past which you can't (?) buy any longer and I was wondering which boxes you can remember. Not bars of chocolate, but boxes. Oh, what the heck, any chocolates that are no longer available.

I remember my mum sending me to the sweet shop down the road in or around 1957 for a box of Dairy Rich. Does anyone remember those?
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Re: Boxes of Chocolates

Most of the boxes of chocolate our family used to buy you can still get hold of, the only thing i have noticed is you don't seam to be able to buy the pretty boxes anymore with flowers on, my hubby used to buy me huge boxes with really pretty designs on, i still have some boxes now which i store cards in.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 01:42 AM

Mollie, back in the 60s my mum worked for Carsons Chocolates in Bristol and her job was to make these pretty boxes. They were
about 12" x 8" approx of coloured cardboard, usually yellow or pink with the most beautiful picture of flowers on the lid and a ribbon tied in a bow diagonally. We could never afford those chocs but on a Friday Mum brought home a brown paper bag of 'misshapes' which we would have on a Sunday afternoon. All I ever wanted was an empty box of my own to keep 'things' in.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 01:48 AM

You know something, I think I've still got an old chocolate box which my mum kept, with a thatched cottage and flowers or something on the lid. I'd actually forgotten about those, and you're right about the bow that was placed diagonally, usually on the top left hand corner.

I used to collect cards from Horniman's tea and P G Tips tea and they fitted perfectly in the box in which Contrast choccies came out of.

Anyone remember those?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 02:11 AM

Most of the chocs that I enjoyed as a child you can still get today. I have never heard of those chocolates that you mention Mollie.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-02-2012, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Most of the chocs that I enjoyed as a child you can still get today. I have never heard of those chocolates that you mention Mollie.
Really? Well then I must be older than you then lass. Dairy Rich and Contrast were most definitely from the 50s, but there used to be boxes of chocs called Black Magic as well, and there was also Dairy Box. Do they still make those?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Terry's 1767 I think the box had 3 layers the one in the middle being small thin bars of chocolate with a crest stamped on them. I saved up all my pocket money one year (a shilling a week which I had to earn with house work) to buy a box for my stepmother in the hope she would then like me a bit better. It didn't work.

I used to visit my Aunt and she always had large boxes of Thorntons chocolates with gold 'doors' and little tassels on the top. My Aunt kept horses and her children were at school with Thrornton children who came to ride and bought boxes of chocolates as gifts.

Going back earlier as a treat Dad used to buy 'a quarter' of Quality Street and tip them on the table and we took it in turns to choose one They are of course still around today.
I think Black Magic/Dairy Box/ and Contrast may still be available today or have only recently disappeared. I never buy Chocolates these days so don't know.

Terrys All Gold was a family favourite too, I don't think they are around now.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 10:46 AM

I adore chocolate and have to be really strict with myself and just have a small daily ration of Cadbury's Milk, otherwise I'd soon be as fat as a porker.... However, I recognise most of those names but I never buy them these days so I don't know what's still available....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Thorntons used to do a casket, which was a completely edible delight - no box. The outside was nougat, piped with chocolate and interspersed with nuts and cherries. Nestling inside was their best selection of chocolates. I don't know if they still do it; it changed a lot over the years and the quality gradually went down. It got too expensive (so I was told).
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Does anybody remember Mc Kintosh`s Weekend Assortment ?
They were an assortment of Chocolates and candies .My favourite used to be Terry`s Spartan ,they were all hard centres mmm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top