Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 01:44 AM

Saving on Heating Bills

Yes, this is how I save on my heating bills. It's not very technical, no science involved with this idea. I sometimes need to run my hands under hot water to get the chill out of me. Isn't this pathetic?

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 02:01 AM

Re: Saving on Heating Bills

No Bob, it isn't pathetic, but I can think of other ways to warm your hands rather than use your hot water which is valuable.

If you run hot water over very cold hands, you're risking chillblains so why not pop a towel over your radiators, then place your hands on that until they warm up? Or, better still, allow them to warm up naturally. In a warm home it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes before they're all toasty again.

Do you not wear gloves?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
No Bob, it isn't pathetic, but I can think of other ways to warm your hands rather than use your hot water which is valuable.

If you run hot water over very cold hands, you're risking chillblains so why not pop a towel over your radiators, then place your hands on that until they warm up? Or, better still, allow them to warm up naturally. In a warm home it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes before they're all toasty again.

Do you not wear gloves?
Brilliant idea, gloves.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 02:39 AM

Sorry, was that not a good idea? I get the feeling I'm being made fun of but I don't know why.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

17-02-2012, 02:43 AM

Sorry, was that not a good idea? I get the feeling I'm being made fun of but I don't know why.
I was genuinely thankful for the idea. After all, the hat keeps my head warm and keeps the body from drawing heat from my hands and feet. If I add woolly gloves I could remain toasty while working on my computer. Thank you.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

17-02-2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
I was genuinely thankful for the idea. After all, the hat keeps my head an keeps the body from drawing heat from my hands and feet. If I add woolly gloves I could remain toasty while working on my computer. Thank you.
Oh I see. It's just that I put a topic on called Keeping Warm in the General Chat section which you perhaps haven't read, so I thought you're explanation for keeping your hands warm was something to do with your photography, and of course gloves wouldn't help in that, nor would it help with you on your computer. Was just trying to be helpful, but I do see the sarcasm in your reply.

I didn't mean any offence.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

17-02-2012, 03:06 AM

Oh I see. It's just that I put a topic on called Keeping Warm in the General Chat section which you perhaps haven't read, so I thought you're explanation for keeping your hands warm was something to do with your photography, and of course gloves wouldn't help in that, nor would it help with you on your computer. Was just trying to be helpful, but I do see the sarcasm in your reply.

I didn't mean any offence.
I know you only meant to help. I didn't know you had written a thread on the subject. I often wear my woolen Peruvian Shepherd's hat in my apartment. Although not ideal for typing, gloves would aid in keeping my hands warmer. I am a type II diabetic so my circulation isn't as good as it should be.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 03:08 AM

One of my girls uses fingerless gloves for the keyboard. I hug a mug of tea to warm my hands after coming in from the cold.

It has to be extremely cold for me to don a hat however...
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 03:47 AM

Hat wearer here when I walk the dog. I hate being cold! In the house I love big over sized sweaters and a warm fire. I have to have my feet warm or I am just not comfortable.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Bob I think the hat looks very smart

Many years ago before houses were well heated people wore nightcaps so you are keeping up an old tradition .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top