Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 02:32 AM

Red Lights

Correct me if I'm wrong, but during all my years of driving, I was of the belief that a red traffic light meant stop.

I don't know what it's like in your part of the world, but you're dicing with death around here.

For example. The other night, I was at a junction (outside of the yellow hatched box) waiting for the lights to go to red on the oncoming flow so that I could move. The lights went to red, so I started to move, but a car came straight through making me brake and sitting in the road whilst traffic to my right were on green and had started to move.

Tonight I approached another set of lights which turned to red so I stopped, but two cars in the right hand lane at the side of me went through them.

This could be a subject for the Grumpy Corner, but thought I'd stick it in here to be going on with.

Do other drivers terrify you these days? For me, there's no pleasure in driving at all.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 02:45 AM

Re: Red Lights

It is the 'common practice' to see red light runners here in London (ON, Canada) more so than it was in my previous city. When I have company visiting, I tell them..."when the light turns green, don't go ... look for red light runners first as there most likely will be at least one".

Agree, its one of my 'pet peeves' also.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Mollie it is because people are taught how to pass a test not how to drive. Mostdrivers these days dont know the first thing about the highway code.
Incidently when did you last read the highway code?
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Cyclists are the worse of all especially in London. Apparently the highway code doesn't apply to them
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 07:27 PM

I can't drive and I don't want to know how to, ever, by the same token I hate to see good responsible motorists being tarred with the same brush as the bad. There is a busy crossroads near where I live and every time I try to cross when given the green light, some gobshite or other is going on the red, this is a well known black spot, several people have been killed on this site and still the 'Drivers' persist, how do you deal with mentalities like that I ask you?.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 07:47 PM

cyclists and people on horses drive me mad, girls sitting up there on horses riding 2 abreast looking at the cars as though they have no rights. I pay road tax and insurance. The other thing is when I passed my test many years ago I was taught that vehicles going up hill had right of way. I live on a hill and have many arguements with normally teenage drivers who just barrel down in the middle of the road.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 09:18 PM

Driving here in Lincolnshire on rural roads you would think its easy. No way! The standard of driving is appalling, with some of the highest deaths per head of population in the country.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 11:11 PM

I have to say that the standard of driving instruction is abysmal..how do these mindless idiots pass their tests?
'red light runners' are a dangerous menace and cyclists dice with death, especially when they go on the inside of articulated lorries, who can't see them!
Yes, I too was taught to give way going downhill, never happens anymore.
Motorbikes whose drivers weave about down the middle, between the cars...you have to leave room for them, or you will get your mirror knocked off.
A main road not far from us, was turned from a two lane to a three lane..the extra lane is now for buses.
So we have normal flow for cars, but the amount of cars that overtake the buses and are driving in the face of oncoming traffic beggars belief!!
Today I was passing a parked lorry, which was half on the pavement giving plenty of room. Some instinct made me slow...thank goodness, a young driver pulled straight out in front of me turning right.
He had the cheek to give me a mouthful...could have been quite serious if I hadn't slowed.
There, I feel better for that moan

I think this probably should have been in the Grumpy Corner
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2012, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ClaireMarie ->
It is the 'common practice' to see red light runners here in London (ON, Canada) more so than it was in my previous city. When I have company visiting, I tell them..."when the light turns green, don't go ... look for red light runners first as there most likely will be at least one".

Me too, Claire. Just because the light goes to green, I don't now automatically assume that I can go, so I wait to make sure that oncoming have actually stopped on red.

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Mollie it is because people are taught how to pass a test not how to drive. Mostdrivers these days dont know the first thing about the highway code.

Incidently when did you last read the highway code?
I last read the Highway Code about three months ago, chuck! I keep up with the latest.

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Cyclists are the worse of all especially in London. Apparently the highway code doesn't apply to them
Cyclists in the main are reasonably good but I'm always aware of them. However, I understand what you're saying and of course the Highway Code applies to them but I imagine the majority have never read it.

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I can't drive and I don't want to know how to, ever, by the same token I hate to see good responsible motorists being tarred with the same brush as the bad. There is a busy crossroads near where I live and every time I try to cross when given the green light, some gobshite or other is going on the red, this is a well known black spot, several people have been killed on this site and still the 'Drivers' persist, how do you deal with mentalities like that I ask you?.
Jem, I do love ya lad. My favourite swear word is gobsh!te and there are many of them on the roads these days, both motorists and cyclists. I do wonder how some drivers pass their tests these days and the sad fact is that some of them don't, and create havoc on the roads with no licence, tax or insurance.

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
cyclists and people on horses drive me mad, girls sitting up there on horses riding 2 abreast looking at the cars as though they have no rights. I pay road tax and insurance. The other thing is when I passed my test many years ago I was taught that vehicles going up hill had right of way. I live on a hill and have many arguements with normally teenage drivers who just barrel down in the middle of the road.
I'd never heard that driving uphill gave rights over downhill drivers to be honest, but you're right about cyclists and horses riding two abreast, which is against the Highway Code as they should be in single file.

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I have to say that the standard of driving instruction is abysmal..how do these mindless idiots pass their tests?

'red light runners' are a dangerous menace and cyclists dice with death, especially when they go on the inside of articulated lorries, who can't see them!

Yes, I too was taught to give way going downhill, never happens anymore.
Motorbikes whose drivers weave about down the middle, between the cars...you have to leave room for them, or you will get your mirror knocked off.
A main road not far from us, was turned from a two lane to a three lane..the extra lane is now for buses.
So we have normal flow for cars, but the amount of cars that overtake the buses and are driving in the face of oncoming traffic beggars belief!!
Today I was passing a parked lorry, which was half on the pavement giving plenty of room. Some instinct made me slow...thank goodness, a young driver pulled straight out in front of me turning right.
He had the cheek to give me a mouthful...could have been quite serious if I hadn't slowed.
There, I feel better for that moan

I think this probably should have been in the Grumpy Corner
Janela, I don't do a lot of driving, but it's enough for me on the short journeys I do to make me wary. You have a moan lass whenever you want to.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by ClaireMarie ->

ClaireMarie - I remember how you warned me about drivers when I moved here. Unfortunately I've been guilty of this behaviour recently. This is a good reminder for me, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top