Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 08:50 PM

Item.

I keep hearing the expression 'Item' a lot lately, on TV, in films and even some radio plays. Things like "They are an item you know." or "Are they an item now?, and "I hear him and her are an item". What the hell are they talking about?, of course people can say what they like within reason, and this is not really a grump, more annoying to me. When I went to school many moons ago, an item was an article, a unit of one, and although there are some right looking articles waltzing around the City in pyjamas, who should be sent to unit one, I would never refer to a human being as an item, two people are a pair or a couple, now three items are six people?. In stocktaking we are asked to "List all the items on that shelf", what a mess there would be if singles were listed as doubles, and what about "A collectors item?", will that now be called "a collectors couple". When a couple get married (Do they still do that?), will they be officially itemised? "Hello Jack, how's that lovely daughter of yours?. "She's very happy Jem, she's getting itemised in May". This is all very confusing for me.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Re: Item.

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
When a couple get married (Do they still do that?), will they be officially itemised? "Hello Jack, how's that lovely daughter of yours?. "She's very happy Jem, she's getting itemised in May". This is all very confusing for me.
Oh I just laughed out loud at this part!

Good post! When the media dubbed Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as "Brangelina" (which makes me cringe) it made them sound like an item.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 09:32 PM

Jem you make me smile you are absolutely correct though, 'an item' is a silly expression for two humans.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 09:49 PM

I agree with you Jemflex - and you make me smile as well. You write so amusingly.
I don't know why we latch on to a lot of these Americanisms either. One that makes me cringe is "right on" or as they say it "rrrriiiiggght oonn"
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Jem you make me smile too and I also agree with what you say.

My late father used to get annoyed when they announced on TV "now we go live......", father used to say, "well they're not ruddy dead are they!"
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2012, 02:22 PM

It's strange how the English language is in constant change and how some words like Jem's item comes to mean something different and acceptable.

I have noticed recently that the word random is being used by young ones, out of context. In fact they are using it randomly
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Well I was in the hairdressers today and in there the word is PRODUCT,Have you tried a product in your hair,Oh yes a bit of product will will be the best thing, after i asked to have my lifeless limp hair chopped off and a spit and polish in the top.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Now I find the word "whatever" a great one, when ever I could string Joe up for instance, a shrug of the shoulders and a swift turn of heel and a whatever cuts him off right away.!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I keep hearing the expression 'Item' a lot lately, on TV, in films and even some radio plays. Things like "They are an item you know." or "Are they an item now?, and "I hear him and her are an item". What the hell are they talking about?, of course people can say what they like within reason, and this is not really a grump, more annoying to me. When I went to school many moons ago, an item was an article, a unit of one, and although there are some right looking articles waltzing around the City in pyjamas, who should be sent to unit one, I would never refer to a human being as an item, two people are a pair or a couple, now three items are six people?. In stocktaking we are asked to "List all the items on that shelf", what a mess there would be if singles were listed as doubles, and what about "A collectors item?", will that now be called "a collectors couple". When a couple get married (Do they still do that?), will they be officially itemised? "Hello Jack, how's that lovely daughter of yours?. "She's very happy Jem, she's getting itemised in May". This is all very confusing for me.
You certainly have a way with words Jem and yes I agree with you. I know this is about Item, but have you noticed some of the youngsters on tv saying "laters" meaning see you later?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top