Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
CritterMum
West Mifflin, United States
CritterMum is female  CritterMum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Border Collie pup help

My friends Karen & Paul need suggestions of how to encourage their 6-month old Border Collie pup down the stairs. They have tried 1 sitting behind her & 1 gently coaxing her from the front & pushing her down, but it is not working. They said she is scared to go down the stairs. When she was younger, (she was adopted at 8 weeks). Paul & Karen would pick River up & carry her down the stairs. But she is now 6 months old; they live in a 2nd floor flat. River pup lives with a 9 year old Collie/Retriever mix dog & cats. Any help would be appreciated.

Karen & Paul would also like to know please, if there are both Long Hair & Short Hair Border Collie's. The veterinarian's office is trying to tell them that River is a Short Hair Border Collie; & neither she or I have heard of that.

Thank you so much for your time.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Re: Border Collie pup help

Hi Crittermum. My friend had a similar problem when one of her dogs was a puppy. She has an open-staircase and the puppy would not come down. She started putting a treat on every other step and eventually that worked.

There are short-haired and long-haired collies-only know this because a lady who lives down the street from me has one, a short-haired one that is.

Good luck to your friends.....hope they can soon sort their puppy's problem out!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:11 AM

Collies can be quite sensitive dogs and its not unusual for them to be frightened of things, I've got one myself!! She lived on a barge boat for a couple of months when she was very young and then got scared of it which is how I got her!!

Is the pup food orientated? If so then your friends could try putting treats on the stairs, or even a ball and make a game of it. Its probably not a good idea to rush it though or it might make her even more frightened. You say they've tried coaxing her gently from behind, when they do this perhaps somebody could also be in front of her as well, just thought. They could search on the internet for solutions as i'm sure other people with dogs will have come across this problem.

As for your other question about long hair and short hair collies, yes there are both. Mine has long hair but I know lots of collies with short hair
CritterMum
West Mifflin, United States
CritterMum is female  CritterMum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:37 AM

Thank you so much Merz & Marpaul for your suggestions. I will tell my friends what you suggest. My friends do not own a computer, this is why I am trying to help them out via my pc.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:55 AM

I did a quick search and there's lots of info about this problem, so you could probably print some stuff out for your friends
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by merz ->
putting a treat on every other step ...
That's my thought too. Hope it works! My Sheltie didn't seem to be shy of steps at all.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Like all dogs they will follow you, so you go down stairs in front of the Collie but facing it and on your knees, A bit difficult to do but I am sure the pup will learn from you if you do this.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Like all dogs they will follow you, so you go down stairs in front of the Collie but facing it and on your knees, A bit difficult to do but I am sure the pup will learn from you if you do this.
That's what I would suggest too, also with a treat on each step. Hope it all works out, collies are such clever things.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 04:34 PM

I put my dogs on a lead and take them downstairs one step at a time encouraging them all the way. After a couple of times they were away.!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Yes I did that with my German Shepherd many years ago, after he learnt he would go upstairs and sit on the bed and grumble at people passing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top