Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 12:59 PM

TLC required

Morning everybody, well sorry it's whinge. Hubby is very caring and helps me as much as possible with everything, he fusses when I'm not well. Today I'm not well it started with a dry cough about 3 days ago then went onto my chest which is now a brittle cough, sounds like I'm choking when I cough. Can't get into the docs today he is new and don't think he will give me anything as I'm not sure if it is a chest infection. I have been taking Benylin which seems to have loosened everything up (sorry to be blunt). I am now in panic mode and my stomach is feeling very nervous and horrible, two years ago I had a nasty chest infection which wouldn't go it took a month to clear. I was waking up gasping for breath and coughing like I was going to choke. So this sets of an anxiety attack, my hubby doesn't really understand this so he can't help.

Anybody any good remedies that at least will see me through the weekend. I don't consider myself an emergency just wish this panic feeling would go away and I could probably cope better. I do try breathing exercises it helps a little. Sorry to moan on. Thanks for listening.
Kath
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Re: TLC required

Originally Posted by Kath 131 ->
Morning everybody, well sorry it's whinge. Hubby is very caring and helps me as much as possible with everything, he fusses when I'm not well. Today I'm not well it started with a dry cough about 3 days ago then went onto my chest which is now a brittle cough, sounds like I'm choking when I cough. Can't get into the docs today he is new and don't think he will give me anything as I'm not sure if it is a chest infection. I have been taking Benylin which seems to have loosened everything up (sorry to be blunt). I am now in panic mode and my stomach is feeling very nervous and horrible, two years ago I had a nasty chest infection which wouldn't go it took a month to clear. I was waking up gasping for breath and coughing like I was going to choke. So this sets of an anxiety attack, my hubby doesn't really understand this so he can't help.

Anybody any good remedies that at least will see me through the weekend. I don't consider myself an emergency just wish this panic feeling would go away and I could probably cope better. I do try breathing exercises it helps a little. Sorry to moan on. Thanks for listening.
Kath
Inhaling steam laced with Vick or Olbas Oil works a treat! Boiling water in a bowl put in the Vick or Oil, towel over the head and away you go! Also rub chest with Vick when you go to bed, Olbas oil on the pillow is also good.
Keep going with the Benylin, if you ask the chemist you can get 'Real Benylin' i.e. NOT the non-drowsy kind.

Also sleep with your upper body raised on pillows, or raise the head of your bed. A hot steamy shower before you go to bed is a good idea - avoid sharp changes in temperature as that brings on coughing.

Hope some of these 'home remedies' help!

PS I am a great believer in Benylin, we used it on horses if they had a cough
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 01:32 PM

That's great advice there from stablelady.
Kath, do you know how to do pursed lipped breathing? From what I can remember reading, sit up straight in a chair, don't tense your body, breathe in through the nose, hold to whatever's comfortable, then breathe out through pursed lips as if you are silently whistling for a couple of seconds longer than you breathed in. This should expel more air than you take in leaving room for more air on the next inhale, ie more oxygen to your bloodstream. This sometimes relaxes people as they are counting on their in and out breaths.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Spot on Maryl!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 01:37 PM

If your chest feels congested, I suggest to try Benylin Mucus Cough. I find it 'breaks' your cough quicker than ordinary Benylin.

Hope you'll feel better soon, Kath...
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Kath, if you do have a chest infection you really need to see the doctor to get some antibiotics. Have you ever smoked? I am a great worrier about self medication. I think once you have seen your doctor and he will allay your fears that something is really wrong then you will feel better.

My doctor was new and he turned out to be not only gorgeous looking but a life saver, so don't worry about seeing a new doctor.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Hi Kath , sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I have had bad chest infections for a number of winters now, they last for weeks.

As already suggested inhalation is good, I use Olbas oil . Sipping honey and lemon juice in hot water is excellent.

I also make ginger cordial , that is good too.
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=7279
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 02:17 PM

do you have walk in clinics were you live
if you had would not wiat I would go even tothe hosptal
do not take no chances if your not breathing proper
its no fun I have been there ad went to the hosptal
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Thank you everybody, I feel better just from talking to you. Stablelady your a gem, I do use steam with vick or oibas I agree they do help and I appreciate your good advice. Cookiecate, I used to be a smoker but that was more than 10 years ago never touched one since. I do remember suffering with chest colds when I was younger me mam used to smother me in vick goose grease wasn't available then, and gave me honey, lemon and Ipecc medicine. May go back to the old remedies this weekend. Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts and advice. I will ( cough splutter cough survive as they say)!! Will keep up the breathing exercises in front of my Buddha he may bring me good health you never know.
regards Kath x
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

10-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks Meg I believe in honey and lemon for various ailments I take honey cyder vinegar everyday, my older sister swears by its healing properties. She won't see a doctor unless she is desperate and she is 75 god love her she is fit as a flea and only looks 65 ish she uses herbal remedies before consulting a doctor. To be honest I don't know if it is making any difference with me health wise but keep on trucking as they say. lol x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top