Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:35 PM

CB sideband days just memories now

We got into CB Radio by a local friend. He was always going on about talking to foreigners around the world..depended on the propagation of the skies atmospheric layers whether they were thick or thin as to whom you could converse with...thin layers you could talk to Australia, Pacific..thick layers short distance talking with middle east, europe..mid afternoon south africa and south america...late afternoon USA, Mexico, and the Caribbean..if things were perfect..which they were not.
One contact was Tony in San Juan de Alicante..he became an airwaves friend back in the the late 70's ...He was English and taught in a local Spanish School the subject...English ...
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:40 PM

Re: CB sideband days just memories now

He had a very clear voice and lots of people managed to speak with him. He had a very pleasant way of talking about his life his family and his hopes and dreams. We both enjoyed our conversations with him and soon decided that this summer we would head down with our Touring Caravan to S.W.Spain. San Juan de Alicante, never had been further than the Costa Dorada until then...
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

01-07-2021, 10:54 PM

Will be some photos along the way..photos of the time....I do have a video of my children and his children as quite young ones, celebrating a birthday in his garden which was mainly like a beach..plus dog ends everywhere...and a hand built concrete swimming pool painted blue and the paint was peeling off...but still was refreshing...Tony really was a family creature but had no clue about anything DIY let alone a swimming pool build which of course it leaked..concrete breeze blocks skimmed and then painted....cartoon comes to mind...We like him and his wife was very friendly and said bring your Caravan up to ours and we can spend more time together...the kids would love it as well....and would improve there English......
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:56 PM

I was a bit too young to get into CB radio. My older brother did for a bit, but it was more for local stuff tbh.

I guess we missed a trick there.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 10:58 PM

I remember CB Radio, forget the world, you were lucky to get the next Village.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

01-07-2021, 11:01 PM

As far as we knew then he was an English Teacher..he said he had a bar near Maureen's Bar which was an English hang out...That is where Norman Glover became a friend of ours. His son was Roger Glover of Deep Purple, he did tell us and was proud of him but made no big deal about him...Just passing comments..he came unannounced normally, and was quite happy to kip down where ever there was a soft place for his head...Norman was a great painter and spent most of his time at his easel....
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

01-07-2021, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I remember CB Radio, forget the world, you were lucky to get the next Village.
depended on your aerial.....
we were on sidebands which is completely different ...we belonged to various CB clubs and had arranged evenings..bowling pubs with dart teams..downs the Thames we met up and eye pie island or near name and had a great time with other CB'ers
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:07 PM

I was never a Breaker, my mate was, he rode the airwaves, I chatted to the Birds.

Face to face.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

01-07-2021, 11:29 PM

Made acquaintances and with regular contacts made some bonding with some people....

Like meeting up with Tony the English Teacher....he was a Teacher of English, but that was not all he was..many years later we met up again, on this occasion there was just myself and Husband, kids had grown and not wanting to Holiday with us...here is the last time they came with us..family tradition one finger salute...our oldest never did join us....I still have and wear that top..guessing the dates as late 80's
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 11:30 PM

Memories? I still use CB radio though it has moved from 27Mhz to UHF and been expanded to 80 channels.

On my recent trip to Camerons Corner with my two kids we used the radio to communicate, organise overtaking and warn of hazards.

Some roadhouses put up a sign with a channel they monitor so you can order a meal and have it ready by the time you arrive.

Channel 40 is used as a general highway channel so you know when, hazards, cops, road trains or large loads are ahead of you.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-14 09.08.25.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	16140  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top