Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:11 PM

Philosophical question

Marge and I have been out for the day to a nice little village in the Peak District called Tideswell. A lovely place with an enormous church way out of proportion in size to the size of the village. A peaceful and relaxing little place until the lorries come thundering through, which happens every few minutes (I think there's a quarry nearby).

Anyway, that's nothing to do with this thread.

We stopped at a little cafe in the middle which did some lovely food. At the next table were three old women, which brings me to my philosophical question.

They were chatting quite loudly, like old women do, but when one of them went for a pee, the other two chatted much more quietly.

My theory is that when there are only two old women they discuss matters quietly, even secretively, presumably not to draw the attention of others to what (or who!) they are talking about.
However, when there are three (or more), they are happy to talk much more loudly and, presumably, are unconcerned about who hears what they're saying.

However, Marge disagreed and assured me that it must be the third one (who went to the toilet) who just happens to have a louder voice than the other two.

I'd be interested to know the theories of others and which of us two others agree with.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:22 PM

Re: Philosophical question

The two still at the table were probably talking about the one who left it. The reason for their quietness was probably to do with the nature of what they were saying about her.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:24 PM

The one who left the table might be a bit deaf and the other two have to talk louder when she is there.
Other than that perhaps the element of competition is stronger when there are three of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:32 PM

............... whoops . . . Sorry
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
The one who left the table might be a bit deaf and the other two have to talk louder when she is there.
Other than that perhaps the element of competition is stronger when there are three of them.

That was my first thought too, Aerolor.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That was my first thought too, Aerolor.
Me too
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:04 PM

And me!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Me too
Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
And me!
Not me.

Perhaps my view of human nature is too cynical.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:11 PM

You usually always get a loud one in a group.

It is very annoying as you can’t concentrate properly and hear each other properly. You are distracted by the annoying, booming voice or witch’s cackle!!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You usually always get a loud one in a group.

It is very annoying as you can’t concentrate properly and hear each other properly. You are distracted by the annoying, booming voice or witch’s cackle!!
True. Some people TALK IN CAPITAL LETTERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top