Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Do you remember?

What you were doing and where were you 60 years ago today when it was announced King George VI had died?

I remember it was playtime at school and I was in the playground joining in skipping games with other children. A teacher came into the playground and blew a whistle, she lined us up and solemnly announced that the King had died. A silence went around the playground and then children began to cry and then there were shouts of "The King is dead, the King is dead!". We were ushered back into the school hall and you could have heard a pin drop. The headmistress entered and stood in silence for several minutes then reconfirmed that the announcement had just been given that His Majesty King George V1 had died and Princess Elizabeth would now be crowned Queen.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Re: Do you remember?

do not rember I was 4 years old
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Its very rare I get to say this...but it was before my time But its amazing how much you remembered Mags as you were very young at the time. But I guess its one of those occasions when something big like that happens, you always know where you where and what you were doing at the time.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 02:52 PM

I was one and a bit so don't remember this. What a vivid memory you have of that day Mags, I am glad you can remember it so well, it was an important day and one you can talk about with the grandchildren first hand.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 02:57 PM

No lol, I was only 18 Months old. Taking a wild guess I'd say driving my Mother Nuts as she never tired of telling me I was a real Pest the first few years.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Its very rare I get to say this...but it was before my time But its amazing how much you remembered Mags as you were very young at the time. But I guess its one of those occasions when something big like that happens, you always know where you where and what you were doing at the time.
Those were the days when people really cared about the Royal Family and had respect for them. To a child, the King was hugely important and we never thought anyone that important would die. We always sang "God Save the King" at school and it was very strange having to remember to sing "God Save the Queen" instead.

Now I do feel old if it was before your time, Marian!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Gosh Mags I thought you were younger than me

I am a bit too young to remember that but do remember the coronation
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

06-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Gosh Mags I thought you were younger than me

I am a bit too young to remember that but do remember the coronation
Now why do I suddenly wish I hadn't started this thread?!!
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 04:37 PM

happy to say I was not born then
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Still a sparkle in my father's eye.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top