Join for free
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Crazy world

Children under 10 in Northern Ireland treated for eating disorders
Women looking in the mirror Concerns have been raised about eating disorders in young children
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

GPs 'failing on eating disorders'
Therapy hope for eating disorders
Media 'promote eating disorders'

A number of children under 10 have been treated in hospitals in Northern Ireland for eating disorders.

The Department of Health has not published the exact number, but up to 12 children were hospitalised in the three years between 2007 and 2010.

Nearly 80 teenagers have received hospital treatment for conditions such as anorexia in the past five years.

It is understood up to £4m is spent each year on adults and teenagers who travel to England for treatment.

Ann McCann from the Eating Disorders Association said the organisation had dealt with a girl as young as eight, who had been bullied for being a "little bit overweight

This is so crazy!
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Re: Crazy world

It is crazy Jean, there's a wee Lass up near me who has Anoxeria and she's only 12. WHY has she got this..........Some Nasty Gang of Girls at her School teased her as she was a wee bit heavy.
I blame the likes of Posh Spice and those like her....All the Size Zero Nuts. Jeeeeze it doesn't even look good....they look awful.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 03:12 PM

It's odd that whilst men tend to like curvier women, it seems that all the magazines aimed at women have nothing but waifs within their pages... It seems to be just a contest amongst women as to who can look the scrawniest, and I've no idea why...
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 03:19 PM

I bet the trend would soon stop if it were the Men who had to starve their bodies into an un-natural shape lol.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by White Raven ->
It is crazy Jean, there's a wee Lass up near me who has Anoxeria and she's only 12. WHY has she got this..........Some Nasty Gang of Girls at her School teased her as she was a wee bit heavy.
I blame the likes of Posh Spice and those like her....All the Size Zero Nuts. Jeeeeze it doesn't even look good....they look awful.
I saw a picture of Posh Spice and she looked emaciated and ill to me likewise a recent picture of Kira Knightly
They have the bodies of starving waifs not women and give a bad example to young girls.

I think it is sad so many families don't seem to have family meals nowadays where everyone sits around the table and the children eat proper meals.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Yes thats it I think, kids get something to eat when they want it and no-one really sits down to eat together.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 12:49 AM

I reckon this so-called fad started back in the 60s with supermodels such as Twiggy, then it changed to more well-rounded lasses, and back again to the Kate Moss skin and bone look.

This is all down to model agencies and media saying that fat is ugly and thin is beautiful, which most certainly does have a big effect on young girls today, but it should not affect children. Ultimately, the eating habits of children has to lie with the mother or father who is the child's carer.

I hate to see seriously overweight children but, by the same token, I'd hate to see a child wasting way.

As Annie said, it's vital for families to sit down together and eat nourishing meals, rather than give kids a few quid to spend at KFC or McDonalds, but I imagine that's a thing of the past in many households. Blimey, I've seen young teenager girls grotesquely overweight, but nine times out of 10, their parents are the same. No structure in their eating regime is the case.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by White Raven ->
I bet the trend would soon stop if it were the Men who had to starve their bodies into an un-natural shape lol.
Not likely darlin' - I like my food too much!!!
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Gok Wan is now trying to help teens with these issues as he was once overweight and got bullied himself.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top