Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Car Insurance Renewal

My car insurance is due at the end of this month and the renewal documents arrived yesterday and they want £360.09. This includes a hire car, legal expenses cover, insurance tax and arrangement fee!! It doesn't include breakdown cover which is a necessity for me with all the driving I do! So I guess if you add breakdown cover on top on that I am looking at £400 give or take a pound or two

Knowing that my insurance was due I'd already been looking online using one of the comparison sites and I can get insurance, including all the above plus breakdown cover for under £300, think AA was the best at something like £260.

My curent insurer is Santander and I've been with them for a year so looks like I wont be staying with them. So it really does pay to shop around for all types of insurance rather then stay with the same company.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Re: Car Insurance Renewal

Hi Marian take care with price comparison sites, remember they have to make money too and get some kind of commission (this could be your online discount) and don't seem to carry a full range of insurance companies.

I chop and change taking advantage of online discounts while appreciating that money isn't everything and service is important too. Last year I was with John Lewis (10% discount) this year I am back with Saga to take advantage of their discount.

You may find this information by the consumer association of interest, try all the options on the left hand menu .

http://www.which.co.uk/money/insuran...ded-providers/
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 02:52 PM

I always use the comparison sites every time something is up for renewal, and it never ceases to amaze me how varied the prices are. My last car insurance quotes on a comparison site varied from £260 to £1680... How on earth do the more expensive companies get any business?
Felicity
New Member!
Manchester
Felicity is female 

05-02-2012, 02:59 PM

I always, always shop around when the renewal comes in and almost invariably I will change providers because of the vast difference in quotes. I do it with my home insurance also.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the link Meg which I've just had a quick look at and will go back for a proper look later on.

I think the comparison sites are quite good but have found like you that you do have to be careful with the results. I've never gone with the cheapest quote as they never seem to have good feedback from customers.

As for those quotes you got Barry, doesn't make sense
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Insurance renewals are always dear, they put all sorts of thing on that you would never claim for, lost keys and such like, tell them you just want basic insurance with legal protection.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->

As for those quotes you got Barry, doesn't make sense
My point exactly Marian...
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 05:52 PM

I had quotes ranging from £220 to £1800.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 02:03 AM

I once called Sheilas Wheels as im obviously a female They wouldnt insure me as I have a commercial vehicle!!! Nutters!!!! Ive never claimed in 27yrs of driving lol
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2012, 10:54 PM

When I got my car insurance renewal last year it had gone up from £29 to £38 a month. Got a few quotes from others and 1 or 2 were cheaper than my own insurance quote. I am with Yorkshire Building Society, so I rang them back, said I had got cheaper quotes and asked them if they could lower my renewal quote, otherwise I'd be going elsewhere. Within two minutes they came back with a renewal quote of £31 and asked if I would be happy with that......couldn't say no to that could I !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top