Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Furious

I just finished sending a email to the corporate headquarters of Fred Meyer Department Stores. I'm angry to find clothing made by China, Vietnam & Cambodia for sale in their Men's department but no American made clothing. As a Vietnam Era veteran, 1969-1973, I am insulted by this practice. Our country has gone to war to fight the spred of communism throughout the world. Our sons & daughters gave their lives in that battle. I will not shop at any store that pretends to be patriotic yet carries communist goods in place of American products.

6 years ago I moved to Oregon after the textile plant I worked at for 13 years was forced out of business from imported goods. What's wrong with our politicians and companies? Is their greed controlling their judgement?

I have sent Fred Meyer my store shopping card asking I be removed from their roles. Since all they care about is money I must hit them where it hurts. - Unhappy
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Re: Furious

It's the same over here Bob, and I can understand your anger, but not for the same reasons.

Unfortunately, goods made in the Far East in sweat-shops by children are a lot cheaper than can be made by adult US or British employees and yes, it is insulting.

Even our so-called upmarket Marks & Spencer's clothing are now made in the Far East, and sold at huge profit. That's one of the reasons I won't go in that particular shop any longer.

It's difficult to be able to buy anything these days that hasn't been made in China, Japan or Thailand. Problem is, if all those countries had an embargo slapped on them we wouldn't be able to afford goods made purely in this country.

My father-in-law would never allow anything into his house if it had been made in Japan because he was one of their POWs in Burma during WWII, so I can understand your frustration.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 10:13 PM

Re: Furious

I reckon most clothing found in our shops are now made in sweatshops .
If you are going to avoid Marks and Spencers Mollie you might as well avoid them all including Matalan .I can`t see that we have much choice now unless we make our own or go NAKED .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top