Join for free
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Going from 'survival' to living question -

This is just rambling really, but maybe, just maybe who knows, its you who can say something I need to hear!

I applied for a job outside the home as a 'dietary aide', which is the certificate course I completed last year (on line through a college & placement last summer on weekends in a long term home), while still running my inhome daycare. Am I really looking at the moment to make that jump? No. As I always tell my kids, "Can't hurt to apply as you can always turn it down". I want to know a couple of things a) just what is the going rate of pay for newbies and b) type of hours (most listing say "causal/part time", etc.) and most of all c) am I marketable?

I hate the 'fear of the unknown' and that is where I sit right now. I do not have (or plan to have) a significate other, so it all falls on me. I've taken steps to find out what this house is worth (if I listed now, which I'm not), what is available to downsize too and just where I sit financially, to get a handle on these fears that keep me awake a night. One of my other 'worries' is, what will my daycare families do? I know I shouldn't worry about them as long as I give them notice (contract says 2 weeks, but it would be more than that as I would give notice before actually employment which I am able budget for.... I think).

Anyone have some helpful pointers to share with me about how to 'step over the line into the unknown' with out thinking it to death? I need a t-shirt that says...."Just Do It". I know I have been living life 'just to survive' and feel like its time to actually start living to 'live' (have felt like this for awhile now). Have you been there and made the change?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Re: Going from 'survival' to living question -

Originally Posted by ClaireMarie ->
I applied for a job outside the home as a 'dietary aide', which is the certificate course I completed last year ...........................while still running my inhome daycare.

I want to know a couple of things
a) just what is the going rate of pay for newbies
b) type of hours (most listing say "causal/part time", etc.) c) am I marketable?

One of my other 'worries' is, what will my daycare families do? I know I shouldn't worry about them as long as I give them notice
Have I understood your situation correctly You currently run a 'daycare' service for a number of families and you do this in your own home, is that correct

You've seen a job for which you think you're qualified and you want to give up your day care job and take this new job (Which I'm assuming pays more than you're currently making)

So here are my thoughts for what they are worth:

a) Going rate for newbies well if you can't find out by searching the internet or phoning some friends why not work out what you're hourly rate is now and ask for that, this new job will only make you happy if you get paid what you think you are worth.

b)Type of hours Once again what time are you willing / able to allocate to the new job, most full time jobs are about 40 hours a week but part time could be anything. If it involves any form of selling then the hours required to make a decent wage might be considerable.

c)Am I marketable That's really not for me (Or anyone to say) but if you believe you can do the job, you have some basic qualifications, and you are fit and energetic, then yes you are a 'marketable' resource.

As for your existing customers, well as you say your contract with them requires you give them certain notice, if you actually give more than that then I wouldn't give it another thought, they will find another day care centre PDQ in my opinion. HTH
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Re: Going from 'survival' to living question -

Not sure if this will help but there's no harm looking.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...de/Hourly_Rate

Check my avatar

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top