Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 11:46 AM

Co-op to scrap plastic 'bags for life'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56940143

The retailer, which has 2,600 shops, said many people only used the 10p bags once before throwing them away.

The Co-op said its move would take 29.5 million bags for life, or about 870 tonnes of plastic, out of circulation every year. The Co-op said it would replace the plastic bags with compostable carrier bags selling for 10p "when current stocks are exhausted".

Co-op Food chief executive Jo Whitfield said the increased use of bags for life had led to a sharp rise in plastic use.

"With over 1.5 billion bags sold each year by retailers, this remains a massive issue for our industry as many shoppers are regularly buying so called 'Bags for Life' to use just once and it's leading to major hike in the amount of plastic being produced."

Earlier this month Morrisons said it would switch from offering plastic "bags for life" to a paper alternative.

Waitrose is currently trialling the removal of its 10p bags for life from a number of its stores with a view to rolling it out more widely.

Sainsbury's has said its bags for life cost 20p to encourage customers to re-use them and are made from 100% recycled plastic.

Asda has defended its continued use of plastic bags for life previously, saying they were a "sustainable alternative to single-use carrier bags... particularly given the concerns around CO2 emissions related to the paper-bag production process".
"Bags for Life" - a good idea gone bad .....

Alternatives are not necessarily "better":

Sustainable Shopping—Which Bag Is Best?

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/m...hich-bag-best/

Summary:

Reusable and paper bags have a huge environmental cost upfront, and plastic bags create greater negative effects after being used, it is hard to determine which type of bag is truly the most sustainable. Regardless of whether the bag is plastic, paper, or another material, the most sustainable choice is the bag you already have. In every study and for every type of bag, it was clear that reusing the bag as many times as you can reduces its impact on the environment.
Overall, making the effort to reuse any bag that comes into your possession, and disposing of the bag responsibly, is key.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 11:50 AM

Re: Co-op to scrap plastic 'bags for life'

I have no problem with the supermarkets scrapping those plastic bags.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
What will you use instead .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I think we should have more plastic bags. The more the better.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
What will you use instead .....
As I recall shopping bags were commonplace.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 02:07 PM

I have lots of reusable bags, most fold up to fit in a little bag & in a pocket. I have no problem with any supermarket scrapping plastic carriers. You just have to remember to take them with you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have lots of reusable bags, most fold up to fit in a little bag & in a pocket. I have no problem with any supermarket scrapping plastic carriers. You just have to remember to take them with you.
I had a couple of old gits shouting at me the other day because we no longer supply plastic bags. When I suggested they bought a reusable produce the bag, the wife said 'I've got loads of those at home, I don't want anymore.'

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:12 PM

We've a drawer full of "lifetime" bags, which do get used regularly until they are so full of holes they become useless. That's when they go in the general waste bin (our council sends general waste to an incinerator not land fill). Other than these, we also have 3 hessian carrier bags + a fold up bag from M&S that V keeps in her handbag.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:14 PM

I have had reusable large bags for a good number of years now. I generally fill four or five when I do my weekly supermarket shopping.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2021, 03:36 PM

I use the cloth bags, but if I get a bag for life, I do use it until it falls apart. Can't recall which shop it is - maybe M&S or Morrisons, but they replace your BFL once its done (for free).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top