Join for free
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 06:39 PM

This is scary

AN 85-year-old woman had a lucky escape today after driving down a high-speed railway line for 80 yards after taking a wrong turn at a level crossing.

The woman had a 20-year-old man in her car as she drove towards Brockenhurst station in Hampshire's New Forest.

She turned on to the main line between Bournemouth and London Waterloo and drove for 80 yards on the tracks before her car came to a halt.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: "BTP and Hampshire Police officers attended the line near to Brockenhurst rail station after a report that a car had been driven on to the line from the level crossing.

"Paramedics from the South Central Ambulance Service are also on scene. An 85-year-old woman driver and 20-year-old man were in the car at the time have been treated for shock, but no other injuries have been reported.

maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Re: This is scary

Crickey Jean, that's not far from me. How can you drive along a railway line and not know it? It will be in the local paper tomorrow evening I expect.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 06:56 PM

I read that too...frightening indeed
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Crickey Jean, that's not far from me. How can you drive along a railway line and not know it? It will be in the local paper tomorrow evening I expect.
Goodness me you would think the passenger might have noticed.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 08:50 PM

85 yikes thats a bit old for driving
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Please, no silly jokes about women drivers! Could have happened to anyone.I should imagine that 20 year old lad looks a lot older now!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2012, 12:38 AM

The 20 year old lad may not have been a driver, and may not have known the area, and that's perhaps why they didn't get far down the railway line when he realised that the old lady had made a mistake. 80 yards isn't very far and the car was brought to a halt when the driver realised her mistake.

Yes, 85 is very old to be driving. My ex-husband until recently worked for the Earl of Mulgrave, and his mother, the Duchess, is 90 and still drives, albeit only into the nearby village.

In this country you have to apply for a new driving licence at the age of 70 and it could have been a genuine mistake. We all make them, like the 18-wheeler that came down our one-way street at work the other week, the wrong way!

The old girl will no doubt have to be re-assessed again, but that mistake could have cost a lot of lives.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top