Join for free
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Nasty taste too much Acid?

Although I seem to have some symptoms (but not all) of IBS I am not convinced this is the problem. I have had stomach problems for years and tried the usual medications. I get a lot of upset stomachs, nausea and nervous stomach. I have learnt to cope with this but for the past few months have had a yellow tongue and a nasty taste in my mouth, a very acidic taste, no bad breath (thank goodness), the taste does go throughout the day but my tongue is still yellow and bingo next day it's back.

I asked my dentist yesterday and she thinks it is due to the medication I take, which is for high blood pressure and a statin for cholesterol. My doctor once said "I think you have a damaged stomach" wow, thanks and nothing more to be said or done?? Well no, I just try to cope because I have no faith in doctors and he does not seem very helpful on this subject. I realise it's not a serious condition but it does get down when you feel sick most days with a horrible taste. I have had a endoscopy and it was clear but that was two years ago.

Anybody any ideas, remedies, good advice without making me feel stupid please!! lol

Thank you in advance.
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Re: Nasty taste too much Acid?

This condition is usually caused by enlarged papillae on the tongue being inhabited by bacteria and efforts should be made to reduce the swelling of the tongue papillae. If you smoke cigarettes, try to limit the number you smoke since this can further irritate the tongue. Dehydration is another factor that can make a yellow tongue worse so try drinking a glass of water every hour and eliminate coffee and other sources of caffeine from your diet. These can further dry out the mouth and increase bacterial growth. Also some medications such as antihistamines and antidepressants also dry out the mouth and can make a yellow tongue worse. Check with your doctor to see if the medications you’re taking could be contributing to the problem.

The good news is that a yellow tongue caused by enlargement of the tongue papillae is benign. Sometimes it helps to reduce the yellow pigment by brushing the tongue lightly with a soft toothbrush to remove excess cells that can harbour the pigment producing bacteria. Follow this by rinsing the mouth thoroughly with water or a proprietory mouth wash like Oral B. Repeat this several times a day or as recommended on the bottle.

Best of luck.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Thank you Reikiman. I don't smoke or drink a lot of tea/coffee so I think it is down to my meds. I will check it out with my doc on my next visit.

I see one of your interest is spiritual healing and Reiki I have always believed in spiritualism, clairvoyance.

I do try to meditate to help with panic attacks and since hitting over 40 tend to worry about my health. I am not doing very well at it though, any advice much appreicated.

Thanks again.
regards Kath x
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2012, 07:51 PM

I've no advice on the yellow tongue. If however, you're stressed and panic I think Tia Chi could possibly help you, it's gentle, slow and does make you calm. You can only try I do believe in self help for getting better. Good luck.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Kath darlin' - one of the medications I have to take is a 'puffer'. I was told that this could give me oral thrush so that immediately after taking it I should rinse my mouth with a mouth wash, which I do morning and night. It might not 'cure' your problem, but it might help.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Try this link it will tell you all about statins and their side effects including the bad taste in your mouth...I know i was a victim of statins ....

http://www.medications.com
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the link UKM.

I followed it and found this ------

http://www.thecholesteroltruth.com/p...FYsntAodkidf6Q

Which confirms my remarks about CQ10
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

05-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
Try this link it will tell you all about statins and their side effects including the bad taste in your mouth...I know i was a victim of statins ....

http://www.medications.com
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the link keeps coming up as an error?

If I come off the statin would it be wise to do it slowly i.e. only take one tablet every other night and then dwindle it down to none? I know their can be some bad side effects if you just stop taking certain drugs.

Appreciate your advice.
Kath
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2012, 06:31 PM

There is a alternative to statins called ezetrol (ezetimibe)..since I CONVINCED my doctor that statins where causing me problems he put me on this drug...the muscle pains have gone and other symptoms have gone or dramatically improved....and my cholesterol is still within a normal level .....

PS I am a T2 diabetic.....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top