Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 05:10 PM

Spending Money

Hi

Difficult for a Northerner.

I have taken the decision to spend some on things I want

The aquarium, the garden, things that will take time to develop but which keep me happy.

I am selling off things I like, but which my kids will not appreciate and the house clearance firm will make a fortune on.

Better I get the money for them and enjoy it than be wasted.

What do you think?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 05:15 PM

Re: Spending Money

Oh I agree, Swimmy. Its your life, you enjoy it the best way you can. (I agree about spending money though.....I wouldn't hesitate if the kids needed it, but I cannot spend money on myself without long internal debates trying to justify it!)
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 05:29 PM

We spend money on our essentials, but give a lot more to our children to help them out. I tease them saying that it didn't seem so long ago when they were kids in the 70s/80s we would think ourselves generous if we gave them a £1 or two to spend. Nowadays it is the odd £10,000 or so. But you can't take it with you so we might as well help them whilst we can.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The aquarium, the garden, things that will take time to develop but which keep me happy.

I am selling off things I like, but which my kids will not appreciate and the house clearance firm will make a fortune on.

What do you think?
Totally agree.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

What do you think?
I think good on you!

I've the very devil of a job in getting my MIL to do the same and put herself first, even after explaining that neither of her children really need whatever she would leave.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 06:41 PM

I wouldn’t sell anything that gave me pleasure .
I’ve given my kids a large part of their inheritance , I’m enjoying/spending some of what’s left . We only as far as it’s known have one life make the most of it ....that might mean spending some of the dosh
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 07:08 PM

its there, innit, spend it, dunnit, nearly, getting the t shirt when its gorn, hopefully
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 07:12 PM

It completely the right thing to do Swims good on you .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 07:15 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me. With Guy's situation, I realize it takes a balance of planning and still enjoying the good things in life.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2021, 07:19 PM

Hi

I sold the big house, but that was practicalities.

I have sold my porcelain, loved it but best gone.

It would just be wasted as the kids have no idea of it's worth.

I have sold a few paintings, one in particular I liked, the kids hated it.

Boring, Boring.

A named artist, a judge at the Royal Academy years ago.

I have others I like.

Keeping the best ones, the others can go or have already gone.

A lot of fishing tackle is also going, not going to be doing competitive fishing or travelling the world to try to catch huge fish.

I an no longer capable of that.

The fishing tackle alone is bringing thousands, I collected it for years.

Less is more as they say.

Keep the very important bits, let the rest go.

No use when you are dead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top