Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Fisherman's Friend tycoon Doreen Lofthouse dies aged 91

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-56587841

Doreen Lofthouse, a pioneering businesswoman who grew Fisherman's Friend cough sweets from a small firm into a huge global brand has died aged 91.

The Lancashire philanthropist was awarded an OBE for her charity work. Over the past 30 years, Mrs Lofthouse and her family have given tens of millions of pounds to fund community projects in the town, including the recent restoration of The Mount.

Fisherman's Friend lozenges were originally developed by pharmacist James Lofthouse in 1865 to relieve various respiratory problems commonly suffered by fishermen. For the next 100 years, they were virtually unknown outside the fishing community. But thanks to the entrepreneurial skills of Mrs Lofthouse, who married James's grandson Tony, the cough sweet is now available in 120 countries, netting the company annual revenues of more than £55m.

The lozenge's shape was based on the design of the buttons on one of the dresses she used to wear to the office.

Lofthouse of Fleetwood said it was "a sad day for the entire Fisherman's Friend family" and "she was simply one of life's good people". The company said Mrs Loftwood had "tremendous focus and dedication" and "was a keen supporter of the local community and at the same time, devoted to her friends and family."

Dick Gillingham, a trustee of Fleetwood Museum, said she was a "wonderful woman... who will be remembered in Fleetwood for many, many years to come". He remembered her many contributions over the years, including helping to fund floodlights at the local football club, a lifeboat for the RNLI, as well as public artworks such as the "welcome home" statue for the families of fishermen.

The Lofthouse family also paid for the restoration of a replica of the London Eros statue and donated it to Fleetwood in 2006.

"She's taken the name of Fleetwood all over the world... and been probably our greatest advert," added Mr Gillingham.
A remarkable woman ..... RIP.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 03:41 PM

Re: Fisherman's Friend tycoon Doreen Lofthouse dies aged 91

Aww this is sad....its nice to see the face behind some famous brands. I adore Fisherman's Friend's, but could never eat two at the same time - too fiery! Good for her in spreading the brand and working to make it a worldwide name!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 03:56 PM

Many a time I have resorted to a Fisherman's Friend on a cold Winter's day.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 05:19 PM

Thanks Doreen.

Fisherman's Friends were a great help when I was giving up smoking and have been a favourite ever since. A packet of aniseed flavoured ones is on the desk next to me right now and have had a couple of them this afternoon.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Many a time I have resorted to a Fisherman's Friend on a cold Winter's day.
Mags, you’re private life is of no concern to us..

I like the anaseed flavour of ff, I’ll have to get some now
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->

Oops!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 06:46 PM

Flavours are for girls .....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Flavours are for girls .....
Being a modern man, I like to explore my feminine side once in a while...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

31-03-2021, 07:33 PM

Being a modern man, I like to explore my feminine side once in a while...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 08:44 PM

It's sometimes difficult to get aniseed flavoured ones in local shops but Amazon has them. 24 packets for £15.44.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top