Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 09:50 PM

F.A.O. American Members

I appreciate we have lots of differences in our 'shared' language - but - two things in particular have always puzzled me. Listening to a Kathy Reichs story on audiobook this afternoon reminded me.

Why do you call what we know as a fringe - bangs? It is such a strange word for a hair cut.

and

Why do you refer to shoes as 'pumps'? The only footwear known as 'pumps' over here are plimsolls - especially the ones without laces.

It would be really interesting - to me anyway - to know how those came about?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Re: F.A.O. American Members

Tabby I am virtually half American myself as half of my family originated there. I have lived there twice. On the East and West coasts. I've also lived in England for short periods. Vernacular differs there depending on where you are. I have heard the word "fringe" used in the US but only in Boston and New York. Invariably it is "bangs" which I understand originated from the term used for trimming a horses tail. You can research this but I think that's right. I have heard women use the term "pumps" in the US, Britain and Australia. It originates from the French "Pompes"..in the 15th century. IN fact , men's shoes.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2021, 11:28 PM

Thank you, Keezoy, that is really interesting.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thank you, Keezoy, that is really interesting.
My plesh Tabby.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:07 AM

Plimsolls ... it's a long time since I heard that word.

This name arose, according to Nicholette Jones's book The Plimsoll Sensation, because the coloured horizontal band joining the upper to the sole resembled the Plimsoll line on a ship's hull, or because, just like the Plimsoll line on a ship, if water got above the line of the rubber sole, the wearer would get wet. Wiki
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 10:49 AM

I spent a lot of time working and then ollerdaying in the States, and I too wondered about many differences in the words used.

Some of them, such as "burglarise" just grates on my ears, but the the American expression for opposite corner/diagonally opposite corner is "catty-corner" which sounds delightful to me.
Apparently it comes from the French, quatre.

I never heard the word pumps used to describe plimsolls over here when I were a lad. They were either daps or sand-shoes, though I have no idea how the latter name came aboot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top