Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 11:51 AM

UK beaches 'could ban people from daytime drinking’

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/uk-beache...potim-specific

I think this is a brilliant idea.
Has a youth I never did much drinking on beach's during the day there was really no need for it, and plus that was always the tea hut's on the beach that did a roaring trade.

Did like a beach party on occasions mainly in Skeggy when I did a season at Butlins. Redcar on the odd occasion.
But in those times there was never any kiddies around in the evenings.

Also just like to say that Councils should also be sorting out BBQ areas on beach's like quite a lot of parks have done
Beach's these days are swamped with holiday makers and the last thing you need is some idiots just starting a BBQ right in the middle. Once again to many kiddies running about playing and could easily run into one.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Re: UK beaches 'could ban people from daytime drinking’

Up here in "Sunny Scotland" you aren't allowed to drink in public, or on public transport.

It isn't enforced though, and BBQ's are a menace as well, I agree.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 12:09 PM

I've never drank on a beach and to be fair Ive never seen any trouble on a beach either but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Beaches are not to place for barbecues, too dangerous
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 12:15 PM

I don't drink but I see no problem, if people are responsible.

BBQ's are fun.

We've had a terrible year, let people enjoy a bit of fun.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 01:08 PM

This brings back very fond memories for me. My teenage years in Western Australia. Weekends with my friends. Surfing all day and watching the sun set into the ocean. Sitting around the fire at night on the beach trying to play Cream and Hendrix songs on our guitars. Failing miserably but having a ball. Seldom a BBQ, just a nice open fire in a hole dug in the sand. Occasionally somebody would have some beer but not often. Going to sleep gazing up at the stars and waking up freezing cold in the early hours when the fire had died. If I could go back in time to anywhere in my past it would be there.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 03:14 PM

Yes, I agree barbecues are fun reg, but a lot of people simply don't realise how hot the sand gets under one of these throwaway tin foil things. They may think they've done the right thing and cleared their rubbish away, but that sand is HOT, and a barefoot child can get seriously burned.

To be honest I hate the increasing use of throwaway barbecues on our beaches. We visited a local beach late afternoon last summer, hoping to avoid the crowds, but there were still quite a few groups and lots of smoking barbecues. Apart from the dangers, I want to smell the sea and fresh air on a beach, not sausages and burgers
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 03:30 PM

Agree with Bathsheba. One's own enjoyment shouldn't be to the detriment of others'.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Agree with Bathsheba. One's own enjoyment shouldn't be to the detriment of others'.
It most often is though, these days. However, I'm glad to see the ban coming in and fingers crossed it will make a huge difference for all concerned!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It most often is though, these days. However, I'm glad to see the ban coming in and fingers crossed it will make a huge difference for all concerned!
Let's hope so. Most laws and rules are in place to protect the majority from the behaviour of the few. We can all cite many examples. Indeed, the reason that we even have locks on doors and windows is down to having to protect ourselves and belongings from the small number of (socio)pathetic people who have a different concept of "the common good".

How often do we comment on the mess left behind by a small number of people? Loads. And yet it is frequently the case that those who leave a mess are the first to complain that somewhere isn't clean when they first arrive.

It's their failure of imagination that's the problem. They know the word "sympathy" especially when they want to seek it, but don't seem to have extended their knowledge base to consider "empathy".
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 04:03 PM

Personally I never sat on a beach for long, not when the kids were older. I prefered to explore a place & bird watch, though I did go & look at the sea in case there were birds passing.
Now I'm more likely to be wandering around shops or looking at places of interest with my daughter, who has no interest in beaches or sadly, bird watching.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top