Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 08:30 PM

The Wilsons

The Wilsons never ate gammon on a Tuesday. They once had a pet piglet called Simon who was mauled by a neighbour’s Rottweiler on Shrove Tuesday. It was their way of respecting Simon’s memory. They also had a dietary embargo in place on shroves, but never had the opportunity to exercise it.

I wonder if anyone here has any irrational taboos or rules that the rest of us wouldn’t understand; even if we knew the reasons for them.

Post Script: The Wilsons are no longer with us. They both died of food poisoning from eating undercooked chicken; on shrove Tuesday, as it happens.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 08:35 PM

Re: The Wilsons

I have spent my life not eating chicken after my Nanna killed Shirley one of my chickens for Christmas dinner The smell of cooking chicken makes me nauseous.

I am practically vegetarian now anyway, I can only eat meat if I don't think about what I am eating.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have spent my life not eating chicken after my Nanna killed Shirley one of my chickens for Christmas dinner The smell of cooking chicken makes me nauseous.

I am practically vegetarian now anyway, I can only eat meat if I don't think about what I am eating.
Oh, Meg. It never occurred to me that this subject might exhume sad and painful memories for some of the members here. How thoughtless of me.

Will you need counselling, do you think?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 08:57 PM

I can never eat a Peek Freans shortbread biscuit since I saw my Grandad chop a slug in half with his garden spade, as I was eating one (a biscuit, not a slug).
Harbal
South Yorkshire

21-03-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can never eat a Peek Freans shortbread biscuit since I saw my Grandad chop a slug in half with his garden spade, as I was eating one (a biscuit, not a slug).
Peak Frean are not the only manufacturers of shortbread, Longdogs. Other brands are available.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Oh, Meg. It never occurred to me that this subject might exhume sad and painful memories for some of the members here. How thoughtless of me.

Will you need counselling, do you think?
....possibly Harbal such a 'fowl' deed has caused lasting trauma ...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Peak Frean are not the only manufacturers of shortbread, Longdogs. Other brands are available.
I can eat those ok.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-03-2021, 09:41 PM

When working in kennels in Lancashire, I couldn't bring myself to deal with the quantity of sheeps heads that were bought as part of the dogs diet , silly I know just another part of the animal.

So I put the heads in the freezer and when my boss was out I used to bury them in the wood.

One day someone is going to dig in the wood and find it is full of sheepsheads , I wonder if they will think some strange witchcraft was going on there
Harbal
South Yorkshire

21-03-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
....possibly Harbal such a 'fowl' deed has caused lasting trauma ...
I know it can't make up for your loss, Meg, but I'm calling for a minute's silence on this thread, in memory of Shirley.

I'm not sure how many of those represent a minute's worth of sadness.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

21-03-2021, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can eat those ok.
You obviously don't need counselling, Longdogs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top