Join for free
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Drowned in whisky

Man drowns in whisky vat
Yahoo! NewsBy Gaby Leslie | Yahoo! News – 4 minutes 27 seconds ago

Email
Print

A distillery employee took his own life by drowning himself in a vat of water and yeast at a whisky plant in Scotland.

Father-of-two Brian Ettles, 46, climbed up the 50,000-litre tank before reportedly jumping into the container known as a washback used in the early stages of distilling at the Glenfiddich Distillery in Banffshire, Scotland.

Following the discovery of his body, emergency services were called to the scene on Saturday night but efforts to revive him failed.

Mr Ettles – a senior employee – had worked at the world-renowned distillery for 23 years and died the day before his wife’s 54th birthday.

Friends spoke of their shock at Mr Ettle’s suicide. Neighbour Eileen Mackenzie, 67, said: “I am just really shocked. It’s such a horrible way for someone to go and most people I have spoken to are really quite upset about it.

“He was just a young man and I have no idea what might have made him want to take his own life in such a way.”

Whoaaaaaaa - what a way to go - pickled!!! - at least he will be well preserved.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2012, 01:09 AM

Re: Drowned in whisky

I read that article as well, which was over-sensationalised about a poor tortured soul who took his own life. He didn't drown in whisky, but water in the wash-back, and that Gaby Leslie should be taken to task for producing a news item such as that. I suppose it wouldn't have been as "exciting" to read if it stated that he'd drowned in water.

Think of the poor relatives that would have to read such rubbish at such a sad time. Never believe what you read in the papers.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2012, 01:14 AM

That's why I've not bought a newspaper in years! I found it either, too depressing or full of rubbish, plus having to dispose of the papers afterwards.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2012, 08:21 AM

Joe, whisky rots things it is Rum that preserves the body, that is why Nelson was placed in a barrel of Rum until they got back to England.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Joe, whisky rots things it is Rum that preserves the body, that is why Nelson was placed in a barrel of Rum until they got back to England.
Hmmmmmm - I like the idea of that - soaked in Rum. I wanna do mine though BEFORE I kick the bucket, not after - a wicked waste of booze afterwards.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top