Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 06:17 PM

Care home distress.

I've been chatting to a friend this afternoon whose husband has Alzheimers & is in a care home.

My friend was so distressed. One of the carers filmed her hubby having a pee & circulated the video amongst all her friends.

How sick can anybody be to do that to an elderly man?

The person was sacked and an investigation under way.

It makes me never want to let Tony out of my sight but I know one day I may have to.
Jane10
United Kingdom
Jane10 is female 

13-02-2021, 06:31 PM

Re: Care home distress.

Oh that's awful. What a really appalling thing to do to a poor old man entitled to privacy, dignity and respect.
Glad that 'carer' has been sacked.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 06:33 PM

OMG thats awful.. Its bad enough that this shitty disease robs people of who they are and robs us of the ones we love but to ridicule them its just unacceptable.

I also face the very real prospect of having to one day have my OH admitted to residential care so I do understand how daunting it is without the added thought of them being abused as well.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 06:34 PM

That is so disgusting, Carol....I'm glad the carer was sacked. May she never work again. People like this should be named and shamed amongst the social care community.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 06:52 PM

I am not litigious, but this is outrageous.

You don't build a lifetime of dignity and privacy to have some primitive thinker strip it from you. The whole idea of having a someone care for you at this point in your life is afford you RESPECT and PRIVACY.

Heads rolling is step one, and seeking punitive and personal damages is step two.

Get a lawyer.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 06:57 PM

Let's hope karma gets them when they are old and infirm.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 07:06 PM

Sacked is not enough in my book. I'd move heaven and earth to have her in court and face the real music.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Sacked is not enough in my book. I'd move heaven and earth to have her in court and face the real music.
Agreed. I'd go after management too. They need to be doing random unexpected inspections so the carers always on notice that their behavior is rigorously being monitored.

It is not enough to go after the primitive thinker. I wouldn't be satisfied until I knew that oversight was being implemented and enforced on ever level.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am not litigious, but this is outrageous.

You don't build a lifetime of dignity and privacy to have some primitive thinker strip it from you. The whole idea of having a someone care for you at this point in your life is afford you RESPECT and PRIVACY.

Heads rolling is step one, and seeking punitive and personal damages is step two.

Get a lawyer.
I quite agree with you on this, one problem though is getting personal damages is almost impossible due to the cost of litigation in the UK. For most 'ordinary' people there's no Legal Aid these days. There is only one way of getting the finances to take action if you don't have savings and that's by using your home as security. If you either fail in your objective or even if you win damages what you get is not guaranteed to reimburse those costs. It's judges who take these cases and as many people know they are not always living in the real world, whereas we are.

To give you an example of the cost of just an ordinary solicitor's costs, ONE HOUR'S advice including one letter plus a copy of that cost £300. With state pensions in the UK at around £155+ a week that gives you some idea of the unfairness of the cost of litigation.

After my mother was personally very poorly treated in an NHS hospital some years' ago, I made an official complaint and the family received an apology and an undertaking that procedures would immediately change. They did but litigation was out of the question due to the cost. At least other people would not be treated in the way my mother was so that was something.

Do bear in mind though that not all care home are like the one in the OP. My mother was so well looked after in the care home found we for her, no complaints at all, she was really cared for during her last days. The owner of the care home was a senior ex-nurse experienced in palliative care, she was so understanding and compassionate and helped all family members in all kinds of ways at such a difficult time.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 07:58 PM

I heard that the Care Commission don't do random checks, but inform the care home of an impending visit. Is this true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top