Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:29 PM

It's Not Natural....

On my mind for over a month, I've got to ask you all...
has anyone else noticed that since this isolation period with Covid there are no more double yolkers in eggs? I used to love being surprised when cracking open an egg to find two yolks! It's considered good luck, like finding a penny with heads up.
I have come to the conclusion that even roosters and chickens aren't acting naturally, in isolation. And don't get me started on rabbits....where are all the rabbits?!? In isolation, too?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:33 PM

Re: It's Not Natural....

I haven't seen a double yolker since my Granny gave up keeping chooks over fifty years ago.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:36 PM

I can't even remember the last time I cracked open a 2x yolker. It must be over 40yrs ago at least.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Fruity and Percy, until about a year ago, I would find one about twice a year. Mostly in the X- large size eggs. Duh, of course they would be, wouldn't they?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:55 PM

Just look for a chook with tears in it's eyes, and tears in its ...
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:06 PM

It's years since I last had a double-yoker.
But rabbits ........... oh, they're about allright.
I've been watching them playing in the snow this last few days, and there are loads in the field behind us.
Which just goes to show that the fox who was also playing in the snow (not at the same time as the bunnies) is either not very good, or not very hungry.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:06 PM

I once found 6 double-yolkers in a 6-pack .....

What are the chances, I wondered .....

1 in a billion ..... 1 in a trillion .....

So I asked a farming friend how rare such an occurrence would be ..... I was disappointed to find that, although finding a single double-yolker in a 6-pack is quite rare, finding 6 in a 6-pack is statistically more likely if the eggs come from the same flock of chickens and the chickens are young - the eggs would normally be small but double-yolkers are larger than single yolkers so egg-packers separate them off for boxing.

I checked the internet and she was right:

What are the chances of six double-yolkers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16118149

..... and I really enjoyed the egg-yolk "bounty" .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:22 PM

This is the first time I have ever heard of this and I have never cracked open or eaten one.

Just looking into this it seems that only hens less than a year old lay such eggs. Morrisons were selling them a couple of years ago but they were checking every egg under a UV lamp to select the double ones. So Rightnow perhaps in the US they are no longer using Spring chickens!

As I have never seen this in my lifetime I assume that here they either screen them or use mature chickens to lay.

Does it mean twice the cholesterol?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I once found 6 double-yolkers in a 6-pack .....

Did you buy them at Morrisons?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 05:23 PM

Our village shop sells boxes of six double yoker eggs, along side the single ones. Wee bit dearer but not much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top