Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 12:08 PM

The loss of a T

Has anyone else noticed that several commentators/anchor people/advertising over-voices appear to have lost the letter T? It really annoys me when these folk say words such as Bri'ain, Na'alie, no'ed, of'en and so on. Or am I just being too pernickety? (or should that be pernicke'y)
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 12:23 PM

Re: The loss of a T

I think it's because they now employ people with regional accents & no longer use the very correct English speaking people. It doesn't bother me.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 12:24 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. The other thing that is growing in prevalence is the amount of people (Boris is one of the worst offenders) who say, e.g. "We're going ter do xyz"
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Has anyone else noticed that several commentators/anchor people/advertising over-voices appear to have lost the letter T? It really annoys me when these folk say words such as Bri'ain, Na'alie, no'ed, of'en and so on. Or am I just being too pernickety? (or should that be pernicke'y)
Or even persnickety...................
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 01:22 PM

I agree with you.

Regional accents can be charming - but sloppy speech is just laziness and unpleasant.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 01:29 PM

Remember the very posh voices from the past TV news readers and presenters. If I listen to an old movie or news cast or black and white TV shows people spoke extreeeeeemmmllyyy posh , as posh as the queen speaks if not posher .
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Or even persnickety...................
Are you being persnickety about me using the older version of the word, pernickety ...
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

08-02-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Remember the very posh voices from the past TV news readers and presenters. If I listen to an old movie or news cast or black and white TV shows people spoke extreeeeeemmmllyyy posh , as posh as the queen speaks if not posher .
It used to be called the Queen's English didn't it Susan, amusing to listen to these days and very outdated!

Then there was BBC English but that has gone by the way now unless dropping letters is now classed as BBC English because some of their commentators and presenters are the worst culprits.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

08-02-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree with you.

Regional accents can be charming - but sloppy speech is just laziness and unpleasant.
Yes Silver Tabby, my view exactly - it is sloppy and lazy and I suspect sometimes done deliberately for effect rather than being part of a regional dialect.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 03:35 PM

All this time I assumed so many had a stuffy nose or sinus infection.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top