Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 03:37 PM

Import taxes

Marge tells me that she heard a discussion on the wireless about some people being stung by import taxes on items bought from the EU.
Earrings, wallpaper, wine and other things.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I thought we had a free trade agreement with the EU, so why these taxes (apparently imposed by our own government)? We didn't have them when we were under the Dictatorship.

It makes me ask why did we bother to make Boris's BRINO agreement?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:12 PM

Re: Import taxes

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Marge tells me that she heard a discussion on the wireless about some people being stung by import taxes on items bought from the EU.

I thought we had a free trade agreement with the EU, so why these taxes (apparently imposed by our own government)? We didn't have them when we were under the Dictatorship.

There is a largely free trade agreement with the EU but the change in VAT in which we apply UK VAT to sales but do not have to pay VAT at the point of sale in Europe. We now must pay import duties into the UK but the same tax would be paid at the port of entry into the EU but we would not have seen it. The danger is that we might have pay that twice. Shouldn't need to but unscrupulous EU dealers might forget to remove it

It's not BRINO, we have our sovereignty restored and now are able to unravel the awful hangover of laws we were obliged to take on from Brussels but it will take time.

With how things are turning out I wonder if by now, especially where the covid vaccine is concerned, in the past we would have been at war especially with France - and if we should go to war with France now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is a largely free trade agreement with the EU but the change in VAT in which we apply UK VAT to sales but do not have to pay VAT at the point of sale in Europe. We now must pay import duties into the UK but the same tax would be paid at the port of entry into the EU but we would not have seen it. The danger is that we might have pay that twice. Shouldn't need to but unscrupulous EU dealers might forget to remove it
If such is the case, surely we'd be well advised to miss out the EU middleman and buy direct from the appropriate 'third country'.

It's not BRINO, we have our sovereignty restored and now are able to unravel the awful hangover of laws we were obliged to take on from Brussels but it will take time.
But that's exactly why I regard it as BRINO. As far as I'm concerned, only when (and if) we can extricate ourselves from every level of control by the EU shall we have achieved BREXIT. Perhaps after 2024?

With how things are turning out I wonder if by now, especially where the covid vaccine is concerned, in the past we would have been at war especially with France - and if we should go to war with France now.
Either that or end all interactions and alliances with them once and for all. They are our enemy and always have been...
well except for 1914 and 1939!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:43 PM

Simple answer to this is not to buy stuff from an EU source for at least the time being.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 04:45 PM

If such is the case, surely we'd be well advised to miss out the EU middleman and buy direct from the appropriate 'third country'.

But that's exactly why I regard it as BRINO. As far as I'm concerned, only when (and if) we can extricate ourselves from every level of control by the EU shall we have achieved BREXIT. Perhaps after 2024?

Either that or end all interactions and alliances with them once and for all. They are our enemy and always have been...
well except for 1914 and 1939!
Think about your last sentence JBR ??
Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by percy vere ->
simple answer to this is not to buy stuff from an eu source for at least the time being.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-01-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Think about your last sentence JBR ??
I have thought about it.
I've thought about it a lot!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 05:19 PM

But you still have to pay import duties and VAT.

As for the laws to unravel, it's not EU laws it's OUR laws that we were obliged to take onto our statute books but that are so intertwined it will take time to get shot of. An essential first few include Human Rights legislation which really is and always was unnecessary, and employment legislation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-01-2021, 05:24 PM

But you still have to pay import duties and VAT.
Not if we buy our own home grown products!

As for VAT, I thought that was introduced by the EU. If we're going to charge something like it, perhaps we could go back to calling it purchase tax.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 05:43 PM

We can call it what we want to now.

As for the import duties etc., it is AT LAST our country getting the taxes owed to it when people buy from outside the UK.
It is no different to buying from anywhere else, and Amazon.com for example has listed all the charges on applicable imports from the USA when you buy something for years.

If it makes people think twice and then even sometimes buy things from here in the UK rather than from the EU, I'm all for it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top