Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 09:40 AM

Starting the Car.

Hi

Not driving, so car stuck on the drive.

I started it just now and will leave it running to charge the battery.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 10:03 AM

Re: Starting the Car.

Don't leave it with the hand brake on wheels parked up.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 10:08 AM

I am delighted with my Trickle Charger which I connect to my car every couple of weeks , no more flat batteries
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am delighted with my Trickle Charger which I connect to my car every couple of weeks , no more flat batteries
What type did you buy in the end meg...?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
What type did you buy in the end meg...?
Hi Primus I bought a CTEK MXS and got Halfords to fit the ring connections so I just have to lift the bonnet and plug in the extension lead .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-...286758601&th=1
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 10:35 AM

If possible, anyone not using their car for long periods should drive it every few weeks long enough to get the engine warmed up. If this is not possible, then it should be driven forwards and backwards every now and then, even if it is only a car length.
This prevents flat spots from occurring on tyres that can take days or weeks to stop rumbling.
It also prevents flat spots on bearings if a car is stored for long periods, and stops oil and fuel seals etcetera from drying out and causing leaks.

If possible, leave the handbrake off when parked for long periods, especially if it was raining the last time the car was used and it has drum brakes. The shoes sometimes have a habit of sticking to the drum.
Alternatively, exercise the handbrake several times whilst running the engine and ideally moving the car about.

I have a classic car that doesn't get used very often, even without lockdowns. I discovered all the problems described above when we used to leave it in the garage untaxed for six months of the year.

I have a battery charger that is designed for people who don't use their vehicle very often such as a camper van in Winter.
It cycles the battery by slowly charging and discharging but never flattening it. This helps to prolong battery life, and they aren't very expensive.
Solar panel powered versions are available if a vehicle is to be left in an area without mains power.

Any decent trickle charger should work if you can't keep the type above permanently connected. Do check the handbook first, especially if jump starting, as it can blow electrical components or sensors due to a sudden high charge.
Again, I found this out the hard way when jump-starting a car that caused an air intake sensor to blow.

Modern cars may not suffer this problem, but it is always best to check.

The problems I have described are extremes and may not be a problem, but it won't hurt to go through a car exercise routine every now and then.

Don't forget, even if a car isn't being used, you should still do tyre pressure and fluid level checks as normally recommended.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
If possible, anyone not using their car for long periods should drive it every few weeks long enough to get the engine warmed up. If this is not possible, then it should be driven forwards and backwards every now and then, even if it is only a car length.
This prevents flat spots from occurring on tyres that can take days or weeks to stop rumbling.
It also prevents flat spots on bearings if a car is stored for long periods, and stops oil and fuel seals etcetera from drying out and causing leaks.

If possible, leave the handbrake off when parked for long periods, especially if it was raining the last time the car was used and it has drum brakes. The shoes sometimes have a habit of sticking to the drum.
Alternatively, exercise the handbrake several times whilst running the engine and ideally moving the car about.

I have a classic car that doesn't get used very often, even without lockdowns. I discovered all the problems described above when we used to leave it in the garage untaxed for six months of the year.

I have a battery charger that is designed for people who don't use their vehicle very often such as a camper van in Winter.
It cycles the battery by slowly charging and discharging but never flattening it. This helps to prolong battery life, and they aren't very expensive.
Solar panel powered versions are available if a vehicle is to be left in an area without mains power.

Any decent trickle charger should work if you can't keep the type above permanently connected. Do check the handbook first, especially if jump starting, as it can blow electrical components or sensors due to a sudden high charge.
Again, I found this out the hard way when jump-starting a car that caused an air intake sensor to blow.

Modern cars may not suffer this problem, but it is always best to check.

The problems I have described are extremes and may not be a problem, but it won't hurt to go through a car exercise routine every now and then.

Don't forget, even if a car isn't being used, you should still do tyre pressure and fluid level checks as normally recommended.
Hi
Good Advice.

I am not allowed to drive following my heart proceedure until 28th January.

This is in itself a nonsense as I am booked in to have a hole drilled in my skull a week tomorrow, which will be even futher delays.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:14 AM

Good stuff , thank you for that
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Primus I bought a CTEK MXS and got Halfords to fit the ring connections so I just have to lift the bonnet and plug in the extension lead .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-...286758601&th=1
I have a c-tech charger, mines for cars with stop start batteries, I too fitted the plug direct to the battery, much easier

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top