Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 07:27 AM

What was your first ever driving experience?

My first driving experience (when I was aged 18) saw me smash my Dad’s car (stick shift or manual transmission) into his stationary pickup/van!

I was reversing the car on a slight incline and clearly reversed incorrectly.

I’ll never forget the look of shock and horror on his face. Luckily, both vehicles were only slightly damaged.

Was your first driving experience any better than mine?
Share your experiences please.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 07:34 AM

Re: What was your first ever driving experience?

In a Hillman..........Minx.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 07:40 AM

Around some of the quieter streets of Fremantle, Western Australia in a Holden sedan with my Dad as instructor. Then solo around same said streets after gaining of probationary licence. No dramas to report sorry to say. How boring
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 07:44 AM

The local car thieves used to leave their spoils outside the house, with a key under the front wheel.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-01-2021, 08:01 AM

Got a job as cheap labour (being sixteen and without a driving licence) as a Car Preparation Technician with a large Ford Main Dealer. The cars came in from Germany and Belgium in wax, to protect them which was removed by steam and industrial paraffin (nasty stuff). Every day was a recreation of the Sweeney and the Professionals around the compound, well made up for the lack of real wage or job recognition for a sixteen year old but, would do it again, at the drop of a hat.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2021, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
In a Hillman..........Minx.
Did you also find that the gears bounced? I believe the Minx had this issue
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

05-01-2021, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Around some of the quieter streets of Fremantle, Western Australia in a Holden sedan with my Dad as instructor. Then solo around same said streets after gaining of probationary licence. No dramas to report sorry to say. How boring
I believe your traffic rules are quite strict down under.
When it comes to driving, boring is good unless you’re participating in the Dakar Trust me!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

05-01-2021, 08:05 AM

Got a job as cheap labour (being sixteen and without a driving licence) as a Car Preparation Technician with a large Ford Main Dealer. The cars came in from Germany and Belgium in wax, to protect them which was removed by steam and industrial paraffin (nasty stuff). Every day was a recreation of the Sweeney and the Professionals around the compound, well made up for the lack of real wage or job recognition for a sixteen year old but, would do it again, at the drop of a hat.
How interesting Spitty! Why would they cover the car in wax- wasn’t there a better way to protect the paintwork!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

05-01-2021, 08:06 AM

The local car thieves used to leave their spoils outside the house, with a key under the front wheel.
Wow - how very generous of them until you get caught driving one of them that it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-01-2021, 08:09 AM

Not sure Minx, just remember the sensation of dunking an un-gloved hand into a bucket of cold industrial paraffin.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top