Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:42 AM

The deeds.

I keep the Deeds to my house in a drawer in my bureau with other important papers.

We do have a safe from the days we had the shop but we managed to break the combination lock & don't bother with it now.

Should we lodge the Deeds with our solicitor I'm asking myself or are they ok in a drawer?

Where do you keep yours?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:54 AM

Re: The deeds.

Same here Carol everything important is kept in a drawer . I've told my kids it's all there deeds too
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:59 AM

Carol, My deeds are at my solicitors.
One day, l decided that the deeds might be best kept in the safe in my house. I rang my solicitor and she said she would find them and then l could collect them in the afternoon.

In the meantime, l thought about it and thought what would happen if they were stolen from my house or there was a fire and they were destroyed.
I decided then that they might be safer with the solicitor. I rang them to cancel my request but l did feel a real time waster.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 09:59 AM

You don't get deeds to a house anymore Carol your ownership is registered at the Land Registry.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:25 AM

As above, if the "deeds" are held with the Land Registry, you no longer need to keep a paper copy.

Every time a property changes hands, or a change of use is made, then ownership details are (should be) updated electronically to the Land Registry database.

If you haven't moved in say fifty years, then there won't be an electronic copy.

You can obtain a copy of a Land Registry entry for about £3. (It's about a tenner if a manual search is needed, for example if you can only provide a map as opposed to a specific individual address).
The Land Registry will show a piece of land as small as an individual parking space.

This of course only applies in the UK. Other countries are available.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:30 AM

As others have said Carol, all the house details are now held electronically at the Land Registry, so the paper copies aren't longer required, although they do make interesting historical documents. 😊
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
As others have said Carol, all the house details are now held electronically at the Land Registry, so the paper copies aren't longer required, although they do make interesting historical documents. 😊
Thats true about the history I have a pal who has hers framed on the wall of her cottage they make very interesting reading.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:46 AM

Some years ago, when I discovered that my "deeds" were about to be destroyed by my solicitor, having been made obsolete by the digital "revolution", I retrieved them before destruction since they form a small part of what is the history of a village during several periods of unprecedented growth and transition, from 1896 onwards - it's not just the details of the transactions but even the recording styles and materials are fascinating .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
You don't get deeds to a house anymore Carol your ownership is registered at the Land Registry.
I once got worried about not keeping my deeds and phoned the solicitor who handled the sale. He told me they were stored safely but weren't important these days. It is the Land Registry that matters.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2021, 11:08 AM

Deeds are important,they are in my loft,in a fireproof box.

I also needed my deeds as proof to a dispute with my neighbour,.otherwise the police officer wouldn’t have been able to have words with this guy....

All to do with an allocated parking space.which I own.solicitor also confirmed in letter....cost me a lot of money for that solicitor,he had to do a lot of searches....worth the money though, as I then knew what I owned and what part was access.

It is a private car park, owned by the eight of us residents, nothing to do with the council...only the footpaths.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top