Join for free
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2012, 10:29 AM

New Year!

What is all the fuss about celebrating New Year! An excuse for a party is fine but....................it is not like the birth of Christ is it!

It isnt even really New Year. It takes the earth 365.25 days to orbit the sun so a real new Year wont occur until February 29th 2012 at midnight. An "extra day" everyone will work for nothing!

In any case it isnt a New Year for anyone who does not have a Birthday on 31st December! Each New Year begins for everyone on their birthday and that IS worth celibrating!

All it means is liver disease for those that drink too much, (or get a taste for it at New Years') empty lager cans littering the streets and bloody firworks waking everyone up at midnight!

Perhaps everyone is just celibrating the fact that the last rubbish "year" is "over" and the "New" one is hoped to be better?

"another year over and a new one just begun"
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Re: New Year!

What amazes me with New Year, is the massive build up to the moment, big load of noise and celebration and a few minutes later....nothing. Gone over and done with in a few moments as if nothing ever happened - which apart from a simple date change, nothing has.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2012, 12:34 PM

The problem with "New Year" is, that it comes to soon after the Christmas festivities, and always seems to be an anti climax, and a bit of a chore to celebrate.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2012, 02:40 PM

I think like Christmas NY is mainly for the young .
For me gone are the days of kicking my shoes off, dancing in fountains and kissing strangers

Also there are many 'delights' for people to enjoy all year round these days. Before the days of television and modern technology Christmas and NY were something to look forward to with eager anticipation in a long and cheerless winter..
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Phil, we celebrate Christmas on the 25th december but that was not Christs birthday, in fact no-one is sure when he was born(exact date) so as for the New Year how can you create a day for the start of the year which will be acurate every year?

I love Christmas and the New Year so I celebrate both, mind you I do not need and excuse to party other than being able to breath and lift a glass.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2012, 05:04 PM

I used to enjoy celebrating New Year when I had a partner, in fact always preferred it to Christmas but now I'm on my own its not the same. Went to bed normal time but was woken up before midnight by some very loud fireworks which were stressing the dogs so had them on the bed with me until the bangs stopped and they could be persuaded to go downstairs again.

I'm pleased its all over for another year as its all pretty meaningless to me now. Just hoping 2012 will be a better year.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top