Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:03 PM

A letter to 'The Occupier'

Never have I seen this before.

I have just received one of these to 'The Occupier' letters, and I wasn't going to open it as they are usually just junk mail or trying to flog something I don't want.

However, curiosity got the better of me and I opened it.
This is what it said:

"Hello Dear Neighbour,

I live in your neighbourhood and have not been able to speak with you personally, but I would like to share some good news with you which we all need right now concerning a better future, the enclosed tract 'How do you View the Future?' explains how this is possible.

Revelation Chapter 21: Verse 3-4 quoted inside the tract explains Gods promise for a better future.

I engage in this activity because I hope this will bring some comfort. It is my hope that someday soon I will be able to to talk to you personally.

Please feel free to get in touch with me at the above address or visit the official website of Jehovah@s Witnesses www.jw.org where you will also fina an article on 'How to beat Pandemic Fatigue' and much more in over 1,000 languages."

So how about that new way of Jehova's Witnesses trying to persuade us to join them then?
No doubt you will all be getting your letters in due course.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:20 PM

Re: A letter to 'The Occupier'

I have no time for any religious crap so that will be going into the bin unopened. Nutters, the lot of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I have no time for any religious crap so that will be going into the bin unopened. Nutters, the lot of them.

I think we have all experienced them coming round to our front doors, but I have never seen them pushing their beliefs by post before. I could hardly believe it.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Many of us have a NO COLD CALLERS sign in the window , which is meant to stop them coming to your door....perhaps this is their new way of getting their beliefs thrust down our throats.....I have no time for them either
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-01-2021, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Many of us have a NO COLD CALLERS sign in the window , which is meant to stop them coming to your door....perhaps this is their new way of getting their beliefs thrust down our throats.....I have no time for them either

I have got one of those signs on my door too, Paula, but still find people just ignore it and knock anyway.
Do you find that?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:47 PM

Both of us avoid being in any way rude to people offering their religions to us though I can literally argue chapter and verse if they won't take a polite "no" as an answer.

That's something that has only happened twice in the past.

The exception would be if a mohammadan came knocking. They would be told once - if that. It's never happened yet, but I do so live in hopes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:48 PM

I suppose they are having to come up with new ways of annoying people because Covid has stopped them knocking on doors.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 03:52 PM

I suppose I would much rather this kind of petition come by mail than the intrusion of the doorbell ring that sends the dogs into a frenzy. It sounds like they are either trying to catch up with the times with the use of the internet or adhering to Covid protocols.

While their beliefs do not align with my own, they do have quite a number of followers, so hey must be drawing people in who need that sort of connection and beliefs.

Though this kind of marketing is bothersome, it is a lot easier just to toss the letter in the recycling bin than to have to be firm in sending these people off, It's also better than them leaving leaflets on cars out in public places where they become litter.

Just thinking; does anyone answer their door to strangers anymore?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-01-2021, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Both of us avoid being in any way rude to people offering their religions to us though I can literally argue chapter and verse if they won't take a polite "no" as an answer.

That's something that has only happened twice in the past.

The exception would be if a mohammadan came knocking. They would be told once - if that. It's never happened yet, but I do so live in hopes.

I have never understood why Jehovas do this in the first place.
Aren't they same ones you sometimes hear spouting on the street corners too?

I have never, ever seen a Vicar from C of E, or any other religion come to that, behave in such a way.

The little church I have sometimes attended in the past, would never dream of door knocking to try and convert anyone.
I would imagine that sort of behaviour more likely to put people off than convert them!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-01-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I suppose I would much rather this kind of petition come by mail than the intrusion of the doorbell ring that sends the dogs into a frenzy. It sounds like they are either trying to catch up with the times with the use of the internet or adhering to Covid protocols.

While their beliefs do not align with my own, they do have quite a number of followers, so hey must be drawing people in who need that sort of connection and beliefs.

Though this kind of marketing is bothersome, it is a lot easier just to toss the letter in the recycling bin than to have to be firm in sending these people off, It's also better than them leaving leaflets on cars out in public places where they become litter.

Just thinking; does anyone answer their door to strangers anymore?

That is very true, because the ones who have knocked my door in the past, do not give up and walk away easily.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top