Join for free
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 11:38 AM

Judd, I need your help

I’m facing the rounds of PAT testing again, the whole care home, last year I didn’t have a calibrated tester so my supervisor carried out the testing in the kitchen, using his, now I’m sure some of these appliances are hardwired into a fuse spur, so that , as I understand it , is a whole different area of testing, locking off the fuse, ect, so I only have a bog standard pat tester, for anything with a plug top, so , am I right in thinking this cannot be used.?, if judd or anyone else can clarify It’d be much appreciated, ta...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 12:11 PM

Re: Judd, I need your help

The standard tester for hand-held appliances as you say, can't be used for testing fixed appliances. I usually use a `Megger` type device that generates a 250-500V test voltage. I test from the fused spur (with the power off of course).

Is your tester the auto-type? ie does it go through a set sequence of tests?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 12:33 PM

Yes it is judd, just a standard tester, I’ll have to look at the paperwork to see if he included hard wired appliances, I don’t really want to sign my name if I’m saying it’s safe and I can’t properly test it
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 12:44 PM

You can put exemptions in - some fixed appliances don't need to be tested every 12 months (unless the person requesting the work/insurance company insists on it)

https://www.pat.org.uk/pat-testing-frequency/
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 05:35 PM

Your 'bog standard pat tester' will only be able to test electrical equipment that have a mains plug on them. It will not be capable of testing 'fixed wired' appliances.

This video from PAT testing/manufacturer Seaward is indicator of what is required to electrically safety test 'fixed appliances'.

Even though the person in the video says a 'competent' person can carry out the testing, due to what's involved, a business will more commonly employ the services of an electrical contractor.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 05:42 PM

I guess that it would save money if you tested what you can and just got a contractor in for the hard wired stuff.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top