Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 05:34 PM

Food is killing us

At the time of writing this thread, there are currently :

840,022,797 undernourished people in the world
1,702,934,076 overweight people in the world
771,600,176 obese people in the world

Money spent in the US amounts to $75-$125 billion on indirect and direct costs due to obesity-related diseases.

Eric Schlosser in his book “Fast Food Nation” states that the annual health care costs in the US stemming from obesity approaches $240 billion.

Just imagine, we could eradicate world hunger with that kind of money!!!

Our food (the abundance thereof and the lack thereof) is killing us.

We are seriously misdirected if we don’t see what we’re doing to ourselves and others.

23,782 people and counting died of hunger today

What are your thoughts?

Source: WHO
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Re: Food is killing us

To be perfectly honest - as long as it's not me. In any case it's not our responsibility.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 05:59 PM

I know what you mean Minx, Don't know the answers though. If I trundle along as normal I get on with things with a clear head. If I go on a diet, I think about food all day. Sheeezze
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
At the time of writing this thread, there are currently :

840,022,797 undernourished people in the world
1,702,934,076 overweight people in the world
771,600,176 obese people in the world

Money spent in the US amounts to $75-$125 billion on indirect and direct costs due to obesity-related diseases.

Eric Schlosser in his book “Fast Food Nation” states that the annual health care costs in the US stemming from obesity approaches $240 billion.

Just imagine, we could eradicate world hunger with that kind of money!!!

Our food (the abundance thereof and the lack thereof) is killing us.

We are seriously misdirected if we don’t see what we’re doing to ourselves and others.

23,782 people and counting died of hunger today

What are your thoughts?

Source: WHO

In this day and age I don’t understand why there is poverty and people dying of hunger....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
In this day and age I don’t understand why there is poverty and people dying of hunger....
Too many people, too much stupidity, nature's way of dealing with both.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:25 PM

All people will eat what they want,they make their own choices,obviously not all,like severely disabled/ young children etc, parents play a vital part in educating their children on diet.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:29 PM

Food is one of the great morale builders. Many people in 1st world nations are overwhelmingly stressed out/depressed and they use food, just as they use alcohol, to pacify themselves.

It is extremely unlikely that many folks would give up that pacification.

Think about it. How many people do you know, or have seen, who sit in front of the TV and consume 1/2 liter of ice cream at a single sitting?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Food is one of the great morale builders. Many people in 1st world nations are overwhelmingly stressed out/depressed and they use food, just as they use alcohol, to pacify themselves.

Think about it. How many people do you know, or have seen, who sit in front of the TV and consume 1/2 liter of ice cream at a single sitting?
No-one, Bakerman.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

09-12-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

Plenty on the my 600lbs weight YouTube videos,what an eye opener that was bakerman,one man had to have part of his house removed to get him out of the house, I could not believe what they would consume in one sitting,and yes a lot said it was their comfort food.they still continued even though they knew it was killing them.quite a few passed away as well, very sad indeed.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Why?
Various issues I'm sure. Sub Saharan fertility rates are among the highest rates in the world yet starvation there is awful.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top