Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:35 PM

Repetitive Records

I guess that this thread might be moved to the music section. But, in the meantime....can any of you remember any records that you used to listen to "on a repeat loop". Some might even have ended up with you having permanent associations.

Eg - "How can I be sure" by David Essex, reminding me of a turntable prezzie given to me by our tenant Mr Naika (who used to work for Sharp)

Or, I read "The Blue Lagoon" with (curiously) an LP of Richter playing Beethoven's Appassionata or a repeat loop. I was an odd child at times
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:43 PM

Re: Repetitive Records

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I guess that this thread might be moved to the music section. But, in the meantime....can any of you remember any records that you used to listen to "on a repeat loop". Some might even have ended up with you having permanent associations.

Eg - "How can I be sure" by David Essex, reminding me of a turntable prezzie given to me by our tenant Mr Naika (who used to work for Sharp)

Or, I read "The Blue Lagoon" with (curiously) an LP of Richter playing Beethoven's Appassionata or a repeat loop. I was an odd child at times
Madonna, Immaculate - Like a Virgin
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Madonna, Immaculate - Like a Virgin
Any associations with that?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:46 PM

This one

Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Any associations with that?
First ever LP that my dad bought for me in 1990 as a gift. I recall, he wasn’t too happy.

The other LP was Depeche Mode Speak and Spell 1981.
My first statement of independence and I go out and buy an LP
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

08-12-2020, 11:48 PM

Don't forget to add any permanent associations/memories and/or context of the time.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

08-12-2020, 11:53 PM

Also (although possible a sidetrack to my own thread), are there any pieces which you avoid due to it bringing back bad or sad memories.

One for me is Strauss' waltz "Rosen aus dem Suden", which I used to carry my son round whilst dancing when he was young.

Also a couple of Chopin Nocturnes which my mother used to play.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:55 PM

I know what you mean, I've got one or two myself that I really don't like to hear now and will turn off and avoid them.

Music is powerful evocative stuff.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 12:00 AM

Your latest trick by Dire straits and chaka khan I feel for you. Classical music - Saint Saens Carnival of the Animals
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 12:05 AM

"Song to Woody" by Bob Dylan was one I listened to a lot.
"Smokestack Lighting" by Howlin Wolf..and many other blues classics.
When I was a teenager though I was always surfing. So I loved surf music. "Morning of the Earth" and anything by the Beach Boys. Those were the days. Now seeing that my son is a classical musician, I listen mostly to classical music and I've developed a deep love and appreciation for it (of it?) over the years. Bach, Mozart,Shostakovich are my faves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top