Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 03:39 PM

Bristol's first receiver of the Covid-19 vaccine

A 98-year-old man has become the first person to get the Covid-19 vaccine in Bristol.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/b...kes-98-4777726

I hope the dear man can now reach his 100th birthday.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Re: Bristol's first receiver of the Covid-19 vaccine

It said on our news tonight that a 90 Yr old woman from Coventry 'made history' today, by being the first recipient in this area too.
The hospital staff stood all along the corridors forming a gangway and clapping. I think if I'm honest I thought that a bit OTT, but still.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It said on our news tonight that a 90 Yr old woman from Coventry 'made history' today, by being the first recipient in this area too.
The hospital staff stood all along the corridors forming a gangway and clapping. I think if I'm honest I thought that a bit OTT, but still.
Yes, I saw that Mups .... what an honour and claim to fame for her. I wonder if her name will go into the history books?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 10:40 PM

I think it was a bit OTT too .... the DM has it that Matt Hancock broke down in tears over it.
It's a carrot to comfort the masses. Show a couple of really old people happy and now safe. Definitely stage-managed and orchestrated as a morale booster to get us (the herd) through a possible third lockdown in January or assuage our fears of redundancies.

At risk of sounding callous or horrible I don't think over 80's are the group to be giving any vaccine to in terms of first in the queue .
It's nice to help them, to allow them to be able to visit their grandchildren and not feel so isolated or afraid of the virus but they shan't actually 'give anything back' in exchange.

The 25 to 45 group are the ones we need to get back out there, back to work ... and back to a semblance or normality and yes, getting legless in the pub, and getting the economy going, as it's those who will probably suffer the worst financial impact in the decades to come and they have mortgages to pay and children to bring up and old age to save for.

The feel good factor will wear off once people realise they've to wear masks for at least another year, that it might take until 2022 or even early 2023 to vaccinate the whole population if the first people to have the jab require another one before some of the population have even had their first jab.

And wasn't that jolly
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 12:51 AM

No sign of Morticia's second head appearing on recipients yet? Early days I suppose.

It is an amazing step forward in such a short space of time but in the UK and the USA something drastic is needed to break the cycle of opening and shutting the economy. The long term effects of that are going to be felt for a long time.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I think it was a bit OTT too .... the DM has it that Matt Hancock broke down in tears over it.
It's a carrot to comfort the masses. Show a couple of really old people happy and now safe. Definitely stage-managed and orchestrated as a morale booster to get us (the herd) through a possible third lockdown in January or assuage our fears of redundancies.

At risk of sounding callous or horrible I don't think over 80's are the group to be giving any vaccine to in terms of first in the queue .
It's nice to help them, to allow them to be able to visit their grandchildren and not feel so isolated or afraid of the virus but they shan't actually 'give anything back' in exchange.

The 25 to 45 group are the ones we need to get back out there, back to work ... and back to a semblance or normality and yes, getting legless in the pub, and getting the economy going, as it's those who will probably suffer the worst financial impact in the decades to come and they have mortgages to pay and children to bring up and old age to save for.

The feel good factor will wear off once people realise they've to wear masks for at least another year, that it might take until 2022 or even early 2023 to vaccinate the whole population if the first people to have the jab require another one before some of the population have even had their first jab.

And wasn't that jolly
Actually, l agree with all that!

The 90 year old, when asked words to the effect of, why was she having the vaccine, replied, ‘Because it’s free’!
I didn’t think she looked 90 at all!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 12:26 PM

At that age not many years left, so guess they are ideal medical guinea pigs. Dreadful thought but just honest opinion.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
At that age not many years left, so guess they are ideal medical guinea pigs. Dreadful thought but just honest opinion.
Cinderella, It makes you wonder.

I am a bit concerned at the cases of Bell’s Palsy and allergic reactions that have occurred after the vaccine.
Am l right in thinking, the companies who produce the vaccines are immune from any prosecution?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I am a bit concerned at the cases of Bell’s Palsy and allergic reactions that have occurred after the vaccine.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-vaccine.html

UK regulator dismisses Bell's palsy fears over Pfizer vaccine after report reveals four cases of face paralysis in 22,000 people in the US – but the condition happens JUST as often in the general population

Britain's drug regulator today dismissed safety fears over the Pfizer and BioNTech coronavirus vaccine after a report revealed four people in a trial in the US got Bell's palsy.

The condition, which is usually temporary, causes muscles on one side of the face to droop because of nerves not working properly.

Four cases of it were found in a group of 21,720 people who had the Pfizer vaccine in a trial in the US, compared to none among 21,728 people given a placebo vaccine.

The Food and Drug Administration in the US said in its report: 'The four cases in the vaccine group do not represent a frequency above that expected in the general population.'

This means that it was almost certainly random that all the people who developed the condition happened to be in the vaccine group, and the same number of people would likely have got it in any group that size, regardless of a vaccine.

And the British counterpart, the MHRA, said today: 'The general safety profile of this vaccine is similar to other types of routinely used vaccine..

'No vaccine would be authorised for supply in the UK unless the expected standards of safety, quality and efficacy are met.'
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-12-2020, 01:18 PM

After reading this clip, l am a bit concerned as l suffer allergies to many things.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...re_article-top

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top