Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Any ideas folks

I will be going to the doctor at some point but I also wondered if anyone here has experienced this too.

I am getting a lot of pain in my lower right leg below the knee on the right hand side. Its worse when the knee is bent. First thing in the morning its pretty good as I've had it reasonably straight during the night. Because I have to travel to work on crowded trains I often cannot straighten it and at those times when I get out of my seat it is very painful but when I get going and start walking it is not too bad. It can also be very painful going up and down stairs. I have got one of those support straps with magnets which helps a bit but not really enough. I take a cod liver oil capsule each day but nothing else.

So any ideas folks of anything else I could try to see if it improves it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Val
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Re: Any ideas folks

Hi Val - no idea but it sounds painful. Does a heating pad help at all?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 09:46 PM

I wonder if it could be knee bursitis Dog Lover. If it is Ibruprofin could help and a cold compress. Resting is also adivsable. Your doctor will easily be able to tell you if this is what your pain is.

[I]"What is bursitis?
Bursitis means inflammation within a bursa. A bursa is a small sac of fluid with a thin lining. There are a number of bursae in the body. Bursae are normally found around joints and in places where ligaments and tendons pass over bones. They can also be found in other places if there has been unusual pressure or friction placed on that area.

Generally, the function of a bursa is to help reduce friction and allow maximal range of motion around joints. When there is inflammation within a bursa (bursitis), the bursa swells due to an increase in the amount of fluid within the bursa sac.

There are four bursae located around the knee joint. They are all prone to inflammation, or bursitis. However, the prepatellar bursa (the bursa in between the skin and the kneecap) is most commonly affected. Housemaid's knee is the name given to inflammation of the prepatellar bursa."
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 09:53 PM

Do you suffer in the summer with your leg.
I have a lot of pain in my leg below the knee. It's worse in the winter. Pain I get is in the bone, feels sore when I touch it. Wakes me up sometimes in the night. I went to the doctors with it some years back. He gave me paracetamol.
It comes and goes. Not been to bad lately. But it has been mild weather.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Val darlin' - welcome to the 'Uncle Arthur' club - I wouldn't mind betting that if you went to your Doctor and S/He referred you to the hospital for X-ray and/or MRI scan the results of those tests will show that you have Arthritis (Uncle Arthur). Ultimately you may need a new knee joint.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your thoughts guys and a big welcome back to Uncle Joe. Yes I had thought about the replacement knee route as well but not sure if they would do it as I'm only 58 and I know they don't last that long. Working in London and getting on and off trains doesn't help I know but I really want to work a couple more years for pension reasons. I think its a visit to the doc and see what she says.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Val darlin' - age doesn't come into it, I'm now 63 and have had both hips, (one twice over) and both knees replaced and have to see surgeons again later next year to chat about possible ankle replacements too. Don't delay. the longer you put this off, the worse the damage is, and the more difficult it becomes to repair.
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 01:24 PM

Hi Val! Uncle Joe speaks wise words! I suffered two heavy falls when I was about 45 or so, both times landing heavily on a knee. Stubborn, pigheaded me with the attitude "she'll be right" did not seek medical attention. I have severe degenerative osteoarthritis in both knees and it is only going to get worse as time goes on. Due to the fact that I am "lucky" to acquire mrsa (golden staph) after every operation I have been told not to have my knees replaced, as infection in the bone could lead to amputation! I can think of better ways to get "legless". Mr J Walker comes to mind!!! lol!! The change in barometric pressure affects the amount of pain, stiffness, "heavy" feeling in knees. I take 10 fish oil tabs a day, plus the meds, anti inflammatories, etc. I am pushing 62 and still working. My "kennel" (always in the doghouse lol) is up steep stairs and I walk up and down them several times a day for loo breaks etc. One step at a time is all I can manage. I still drive, but not for long distances as I tend to "seize up". I can walk, slowly on flat surfaces, but uneven or sloping ground or the beach sand is very painful and awkward. So, please learn from my stubborn attitude and see the Doctor and be guided by early sound advice!! Cheers!
The Dog Lover
Watford

29-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Hi Lorraine and thanks for that poor you. I will be going to see the doctor but its a very busy time at work at the moment so it will have to wait a week or two unless it gets noticeably worse. Will take ibruprofen and see if that helps at all. Its only the one leg and I don't know what can have caused it. I dread having a replacement knee as I live alone with my dogs and have no family apart from a cousin far away in Jersey so don't know how I would manage once I left hospital. All my friends work so there is no-one I could ask to help me. Hopefully it won't come to that. Time will tell.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

29-12-2011, 03:06 PM

Val darlin' I too live alone - yes I had some help from a few friends for a couple of days - and that helped, but you only need that for a few days anyway. You have pc/laptop, most of the supermarkets allow 'on-line' orders and deliveries, so you wouldn't be 'stuck' and there is a company (Wiltshire Farm foods) who can also help too - just google them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top