Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Graffiti - street art or vandalism?

That's about it really - what do you think? What do you make of Banksy? What's the difference between a trompe l'oeil landscape on a terrace end and a graffiti-ers tag on a wall by a rail line?
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Re: Graffiti - street art or vandalism?

Art is in the eye of the beholder...and people have been scrawling on walls since they stood upright.
I remember a piece of graffiti in the 60s that stretched for miles along a railway - visible to commuters.
Get up...go to work...go home...go to bed... Get up...go to work...go home...go to bed... Get up...go to work...go home...go to bed... Get up...go to work...go home...go to bed... Get up...go to work...go home...go to bed...
I`ve got the Banksy book - some of them are stunning.
I don`t like graffiti that`s just obscenity or tags - but no doubt the kids that do it have a different view.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Most of them are eyesores! If I had a building I doubt if I'd be pleased at someone decorating it with a piece of their "art"; If I'd wanted a mural I'd have commissioned one.
But Claire's right, if there's a wall, they will come and "decorate" it.... look at Pompeii; and more recently in WWII, "Kilroy was here". Bah humbug!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Some authorities stated making areas for the spraycan brigade to use, some of it's quite good actually.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 08:24 PM

But they are still appropriating and using someone else's property!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 12:51 AM

It depends on the work. Graffiti can be art, like Banksy. But not all of it is, just like not all scribblings on a piece of paper is considered 'art'... it depends on the piece itself.

Although I prefer to see 'graffiti' on designated areas, not the silly rubbish we see (vandalism) by idiots who don't have the slightest bit of appreciation of art.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-10-2009, 01:52 AM

But regardless of how artistic it may be, if it's done on someone elses property without permission it's still vandalism.
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 07:41 AM

the one's that blow my mind are the 3-D effect paving-art one's -I saw one which looked just as if a chasm had opened up in the pavement -it was brilliantly done.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 07:59 AM

We have a subway in our area which has scenes relating to the area, It makes the subway more interesting. Some of the graffiti artists are incredibly talented. I hate the pointless scrawling though and would be furious if someone put it on my property.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 09:00 AM

ah but wouldn`t you like this on your house if you lived in a run-down area of the city?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top