Join for free
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Kids with TV's

Not really a grump.But today I went to town to have a haircut. My usual one was busy so I tried a new place across the road. Anyway I was the only one in & got talking to the girl who runs it.
Her Ex phoned while I was in there to arrange seeing her daughter over Christmas. While asking her about her daughter she said she was 2 in November, but she's so advanced - she can count up to 10 & knows her colours already - a typical bragging mum.
She said that she had bought her a TV & DVD player for her bedroom for Christmas.
She normally wouldnt have bought one for a few years but she thinks it will be good for her to watch it in bed
I don't care if the child is a mathematical genius I don't think a TV in her bedroom at just turned 2 is a good idea
What on earth is she going to be getting in another ten years??
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Re: Kids with TV's

her daughter she said she was 2 in November, but she's so advanced - she can count up to 10 & knows her colours already - a typical bragging mum.
She said that she had bought her a TV & DVD player for her bedroom for Christmas.
Absolutely not a good thing to do .
Children need their sleep and the bedroom should be a place of calm.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 10:44 PM

I don't have any kids, but I think that's a dreadful idea. A child of that age should be playing with toys and learning shapes, inter-action, stuff like that. Sticking a child in front of a TV at that age where she'd understand very little will not enhance the child's intelligence or natural brain growth. That's a cop-out by the parent.

My mum and dad worked full time and a shop and house to run, but because they spent so much time with us little ones, I was reading children's story books by the age of three, Janet and John by the age of five, and I could write pretty well with me nib pen and bottle of ink as well by age three. And, I didn't make a mess with it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 10:51 PM

That is absolutely wrong! Babies/tots are still crying at that age so it makes me wonder if the mother bought the TV/DVD player to switch as a distraction to stop the child crying. It shouldn't be watching too much TV at that age anyway, it could damage the eyes at that young age.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 11:00 PM

Presumably the kid will be watching cartoons all day, but too much visual stimulation is as bad as not enough. Poor little mite. I'm sure she'd prefer to play with a teddy. They need to feel textures as well at that age, surely.

The woman will probably be feeding her KFC and McDonald's as well by now.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 11:27 PM

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks its wrong. I was gobsmacked when she told me. She shouldnt be watching much TV in the main room at her age never mind watching it in bed by herself.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 11:27 PM

Most children these days have TV in their bedrooms. I have not here'd of many 2 year old's having one though. CBBC has lots of educational type programs, which learns youngster. Something Special learns them sign lauguage. This is good for a short amount of time. With the parent watching with them. But a lot of parent seem to put their children in front of a TV. for far to long these days.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top