Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 03:11 AM

Made In America

In the United States we are in a recession that has been caused by loss of American jobs in the middle class economy. Our manufacturing jobs have been shipped abroad, primarily to China by a stupid government and greedy business investors.

I believe the American public is beginning to come around, realizing that if we don'r support locally made products we will continue to spiral down to a country of purchasers of cheap products from foreign manufacturers that use child labor and inferior parts. In a movement started by ABC news this holiday we've been asked to buy at least one American made gift to bring back those lost dollars and jobs.

I have taken this to heart and gone to the extreme. All my gifts were made in America. From my vacation in July to a Navajo indian reservation I have hand made indian jewelry. I gave my senior friends 40 glossy photos taken by me at our Portland, OR Zoo. I gave my best friend an electric toothbrush made in America as well as a gift card for books at a local Barnes & Noble bookstore. I gave my friend's father a camera tripod made in America as well as a motorcycle hand wrest made in a local Oregon town. I did not buy a single gift for others or myself that wasn't made right here in my country. I hope this attitude continues to grow.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Re: Made In America

Thats great Bob, here in the UK we buy UK made products also, the only difference is that due to government policy they have to come via China or Thailand
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 12:51 PM

It's good to see that you've done your bit for America, Bob.

Here in the UK we have to look far and wide to find anything made in the UK ...... most of it seems to be made in China!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Our government sold out the American worker decades ago with its "Ping-Pong" diplomacy. China received favored nation status and Americans lost their jobs. I try very hard to but American. Remember, I lost my job in textiles to Chinese products. I worked in textiles for 13 years before we could no longer compete with a favored nation paying their workers with a bowl of rice.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 05:01 PM

I agree 100% Bob, but sometimes it's simply impossible to find the thing you need made in USA. I avoid made in China when I can, but will if it's the only choice. Sad.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2011, 08:03 PM

I havent a brain in my head but I seem to think that as far as lancashire goes it started with the cheap cloth made in India after Ghandi visited and all our cotton mills went out of service. We then had most things made in India, now it is China who reigns supreme. Why cant we make our own things, we have the workers what is the Government doing about it.... I will be unlady like and say Bugger All.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2012, 09:50 PM

evreything in wallmart over here is made in china
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2012, 06:42 PM

its verry frustrating indeed cant the goverments understand
bobmielke
Portland, OR

27-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
its verry frustrating indeed cant the goverments understand
Unfortunately it all boils down to greed. If a U.S. company can save money having their stuff made by someone working for a bowl of rice, with no workplace regulations, they move to foreign soil.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2012, 10:55 PM

It's the same here in UK if I want anything made here I'm afraid I have to make it myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top