Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
SliemaGirl
New Member!
nottingham,uk
SliemaGirl is female 

11-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Slow Cooker

Hello - has anyone got any good recepies for a slow cooker? I have tried looking on the internet but not been successful -other then casseroles and stews what can one cook in a slow cooker? Thank you
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Re: Slow Cooker

Hello Brigitte, welcome to the forum

You may find this thread link interesting, it contains further links to slow cooker recipes......

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=4257
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Brigette darlin' - haven't tried it myself, BUT it is possible to do roasts in the slow cooker - place joint in cooker, with a little oil and switch on - will cook overnight - the smell in the kitchen the following morning must be absolutely fabulous!!!!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2011, 12:31 AM

Indeed, Uncle Joe is right there. Or, you could put a joint of lamb, pork, beef, chicken in for a few hours and the smell will be unbelievable in your kitchen. You can cook anything in a slow cooker that you would in a normal oven.

I've done curries in mine as well. When I was having a party one year, I started to cook a lamb curry at around 3 p.m. and by the time people wanted to eat it was cooked to a T and it went faster than a shoal of pirahana attacking a hump-backed whale!
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2011, 05:28 AM

Hi!
I bought a cheapie slow cooker 2 winters ago and it has been the best thing for me!! I cook lamb shanks, stews, ribs, roasts in it.
McCormack's and Maggi have packets of meal bases in our s/markets here in oz, and dead easy to follow!
For the ribs, I brown first on stove top then place honey, soy, garlic and ginger in the pot over the ribs.
I do not eat much meat, but my husband loves the tucker!!
If you have something in mind, let me know, I have a couple of books and I will send you a recipe or 3!
cheers!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2011, 09:24 AM

Lorraine darlin' - I have a very good butcher just down the road from me and he gets lots of 'interesting' Safari meats amongst which is Kangaroo - Kangaroo steaks cooked very slowly in my slow cooker is fabulous and the meat is so tender it just melts in the mouth!!!
kathleen j
shropshire
kathleen j is female  kathleen j has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Sliema girl.

http://slowcookerrecipes.org.uk.

sorry i cant do the links
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Lorraine darlin' - I have a very good butcher just down the road from me and he gets lots of 'interesting' Safari meats amongst which is Kangaroo - Kangaroo steaks cooked very slowly in my slow cooker is fabulous and the meat is so tender it just melts in the mouth!!!
Uncle Joe, darlin' I can only presume that you have absolutely no respect for wildlife on this planet. I'm not a vegetarian so I do eat meat such as pork products and beef, but they're not wildlife. From what I've read, you relish in eating wildlife such as zebra and others, which I find totally reprehensible, and you are of the same genre of people that will eventually bring about the destruction and extinction of wildlife on this planet to satisfy your selfish eating habits.

I'm so sorry but, because of my love for all animals, wild or otherwise, I will not be able to converse with you any longer. I know many folk on here consider you to be a good chap, but I'm afraid I don't. Sorry, but this is how strongly I feel.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

11-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Mollie darlin' you apparently have little appreciation of 'safari' meats here in the UK. Many of them are bred for the purpose here in the UK. F'r instance just over the other side of the downs from me is a farm which breeds Water Buffalo. Another not too far away has a herd of Alpaca. What is not bred here in the UK is imported directly from Africa or Australia and if it wasn't for the fact that this meat is so tasty and healthy, the 'wild game' would have gone extinct many, many years ago, overwhelmed by the African tribes propensity for breeding cattle or goats.

Incidentally, in some parts of Australia the Kangaroo is considered a 'pest', much like we considered Rabbits as pests some decades ago and very nearly wiped them out with mixamatosis.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Indeed, Uncle Joe is right there. Or, you could put a joint of lamb, pork, beef, chicken in for a few hours and the smell will be unbelievable in your kitchen. You can cook anything in a slow cooker that you would in a normal oven.

I've done curries in mine as well. When I was having a party one year, I started to cook a lamb curry at around 3 p.m. and by the time people wanted to eat it was cooked to a T and it went faster than a shoal of pirahana attacking a hump-backed whale!
Mollie, I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me how you cook in your slow cooker.

I received mine on Thursday and made a really nice chicken and vegetable soup, the chicken just fell off the bones and was delightful.

The next day I tried a curry but although the meat was tender it seemed to dry out and the curry and spices seemed to lose their taste.

Today I am cooking a pork shoulder, I put it on a upside down saucer with just about a pint of water no other seasoning.

Think I will have to roast the crackling in the oven when it has finished in the slow cooker.

Any hints would be so helpful.

The links that I have been given for slow cooking are all American sites and they just cook differently to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top