Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Easy to give up smoking? no its not

I used to smoke ciggies about 20 a day many years ago. UNTIL One christmas I had a really heavy cold and as such the last thing needed was a cigarette. The cold eventually went but by this time I realised no ciggies to smoke.

So I decided to fight the urge to smoke and I really mean fight.

At first it was a battle between body wanting one and mentally stopping myself, hour by hour. This went on for a few weeks and was hell. Then went to day by day and week to week. My question to myself was "what do I do with my hands" don't answer that!

Much later I thought "great" kicked the habit, wrong. Doing any physical hard work then stopping wanting a smoke. Or being offered one and refusing

This "need must have" went on for about 3 years, yes took that long.
Anyone trying to do it this "cold turkey" way need very strong will power believe me, but to my mind is the only way.

None of this drip feed non smoking aids are sales gimmicks and won't stop you smoking in my opinion
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:33 PM

Re: Easy to give up smoking? no its not

I seem to have a non-addictive personality and although I did smoke cigarettes it was never more than 15 to 20 a week. I smoked mainly to have uninterrupted lunch and tea breaks, because if I was seen smoking nobody pestered me at work. If I was seen having a cuppa or something to eat people thought nothing of interrupting my breaks. No idea why this worked like it did! One day I lit one up, thought "nope, I'm bored with this" and just stopped smoking altogether. That was about 24 years ago.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:48 PM

I went on the smoking cessation plan run by the National health .
they gave me patches ,lozenges ,met them every week And now touch wood seem to be clear . Took about 5/6 months, I would recommend it to others .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:50 PM

Hardest thing I've ever done. 18 years now. My cravings went after I ended up getting one sore throat bug after another. This ended with sinusitis for six months and I couldn't bear to be anywhere near smokers as it really affected my breathing. The day they banned indoor smoking in pubs and restaurants I cheered. Patches really helped me. The chewing gum was yuck!

My weakness before this was people offering me a ciggie at parties when I'd had a drink or two. That melts your resolve.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:54 PM

I started smoking at 14 years old (what a fool I was) and my husband and I were 40 a day each addicts up until 12 years ago.

I had a very bad bout of bronchitis which terrified me as I was so ill and collapsed and I made my mind up that I was never going to touch another cigarette after New Years Eve that year. This was October. I had it in my mind telling myself come New Year never again will I smoke and I told myself this each day until New Years Eve arrived.

I had my last cigarette at midnight and I have never touched a cigarette since. I decided to go cold turkey. I suppose I was one of the lucky ones because I found surprisingly easy and shocked myself. I think it was because I was fearful for my life and I truly wanted to quit.

I remember telling my husband I planned on quitting and he said he didn't want to, I told him "that's fine" I was not asking him to quit with me but it would be good if he did, it had to be his decision and his decision alone.

So the 3rd day after my quit John decided he was going to quit too but he would use patches rather than going cold turkey. I think he must have thought to himself, if she can quit so can I LOL. The second day of patches he forgot to put one on and realised he didn't need the patches after all.

We have not looked back since and been smoke free for 12 years.

Unfortunately the damage to my lungs was already done and I now have mild COPD but I believe if I carried on I either may not be here today or would have chronic COPD. The mild COPD means I am more prone to coughs, colds and chest infections and 3 years ago I had pneumonia, very frightening indeed. So glad I quit.

Anyone on here who is thinking of quitting, never give up trying to give up, I tired numerous times but the last time I did it..............you can too because you are stronger than that NicoDemon in your head.

Congrats Speedy on your quit. You did good man.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 08:58 PM

Well I packed up without intending to ... though I had wanted to cut down.
After my aneurysm I just didn't fancy a fag. No craving. Nothing. When I smell a ciggie .. I can still go, Ah, I used to do that but not want one.
I've got no vices now how bleedin dull is that.

But I did get an insatiable fad for choccy and more choccy and even more choccy
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I started smoking at 14 years old (what a fool I was) and my husband and I were 40 a day each addicts up until 12 years ago.

I had a very bad bout of bronchitis which terrified me as I was so ill and collapsed and I made my mind up that I was never going to touch another cigarette after New Years Eve that year. This was October. I had it in my mind telling myself come New Year never again will I smoke and I told myself this each day until New Years Eve arrived.

I had my last cigarette at midnight and I have never touched a cigarette since. I decided to go cold turkey. I suppose I was one of the lucky ones because I found surprisingly easy and shocked myself. I think it was because I was fearful for my life and I truly wanted to quit.

I remember telling my husband I planned on quitting and he said he didn't want to, I told him "that's fine" I was not asking him to quit with me but it would be good if he did, it had to be his decision and his decision alone.

So the 3rd day after my quit John decided he was going to quit too but he would use patches rather than going cold turkey. I think he must have thought to himself, if she can quit so can I LOL. The second day of patches he forgot to put one on and realised he didn't need the patches after all.

We have not looked back since and been smoke free for 12 years.

Unfortunately the damage to my lungs was already done and I now have mild COPD but I believe if I carried on I either may not be here today or would have chronic COPD. The mild COPD means I am more prone to coughs, colds and chest infections and 3 years ago I had pneumonia, very frightening indeed. So glad I quit.

Anyone on here who is thinking of quitting, never give up trying to give up, I tired numerous times but the last time I did it..............you can too because you are stronger than that NicoDemon in your head.

Congrats Speedy on your quit. You did good man.
Well done LQ (and hubby)! I too could feel the damage in my bronchioles and I think I stopped just in time because I was also getting to 40 a day.

I'm sorry you have mild COPD. I still worry about this happening because my SiL's mum developed it years after quitting. I too think I wouldn't be here today had I continued. It's amazing how it's still legal tbh.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:13 PM

Worse for me as I and my late father smoked before I gave up my father passed away I guess because of it and my mother died 6 months later. I believe through passive smoking being close to us a lot of the time. You never saw my dad without a ciggie in his hand
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:19 PM

Think of the money you will save REAL.
x
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Think of the money you will save REAL.
x
Very true there, Apricot. Just over £10 a packet here and I read earlier this week that in Australia it ranges from about £19 to £22 a packet!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top