Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 08:11 PM

Self Help Books

Do any menbers read any of the hundreds of Self Help Books published annually?
Some people swear by them.
There are Books written on all sorts of situations and written by all sort of people some who have not had training in their subject matter.
We often turn to books when young and inexperienced,and need some help.

Such as:

How to be more confident.
How to make friends.
How to keep slim
How to be irresitable, and so on and on.

However I would not buy a Book on how to grow Luxurious Hair written buy a bald man.

Many years ago I came to realise that most of these books contained no new information and the majority are published in U S A .
At the back you will find pages and pages or references from other Authors and very little of their own imput.
Furthermore they have Seminars costing Thousands, all to help you live a better life, and of course making them very rich indeed.
These days you can find all finds of help and tuition on every subject immaginable however obscure, on YouTube.
Free Gratis.

LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 08:19 PM

Re: Self Help Books

Nope, nothing along the lines of self-help. I'm beyond any kind of help and to be honest I've never felt I've needed help. If anything is absolutely so far beyond my abilities that I need to employ an expert, I will employ that expert rather than make a pig's ear of the matter in hand ... sorry pigs, but you know what I mean
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Nope, nothing along the lines of self-help. I'm beyond any kind of help and to be honest I've never felt I've needed help. If anything is absolutely so far beyond my abilities that I need to employ an expert, I will employ that expert rather than make a pig's ear of the matter in hand ... sorry pigs, but you know what I mean
Yes LongDriver, I do have a Silk Purse.
You are obviously self sufficient which is the best way to be.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:08 PM

Anyone may need help when the chips are down, that is not true, although it should be, there are a few folks with personality immunity, I have seen them!

Sometimes they write Books.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:09 PM

In fact, there may be more than supposed.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

29-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Anyone may need help when the chips are down, that is not true, although it should be, there are a few folks with personality immunity, I have seen them!

Sometimes they write Books.
Yes spitefire.and some are rubbish as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2020, 10:35 PM

Never had self-help books, but used to have some talking relaxation tapes to help me unwind and get to sleep.
Very good they were, too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

29-08-2020, 10:42 PM

Mups, bet I could talk you to sleep.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

29-08-2020, 10:42 PM

The Bird Whisperer.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 12:42 AM

In my opinion only (clearly there are many people who swear by them and who am I to judge them) I think that they are mostly useless. Like most books they are written to make money. Sure one may well get some valuable tips here and there from them but they are mostly common sense. The counter argument is though "Yes but many people do not have any sense, common or otherwise" That rests my case. A book written by a collaboration of Sigmund Freud, The Dalai Lama and Jesus Christ themselves will not take the place of a skilled, dedicated and ethical counsellor who's greatest talent is to simply listen without judgement. One who can help somebody help themselves. But!..if you have been helped significantly by a self help book, I seriously have nothing but good wishes for you. I really do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top